Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UP SD70ACE

Pensacola, Florida, United States of America.

Default UP SD70ACE

Could anyone do a Union Pacific repaint on the freeware SD70ACE.

Default RE: UP SD70ACE

A little more info would be nice, like call no.'s, engine number, old or new paint, what?

Pensacola, Florida, United States of America.

Would be nice to see some UP SD70aces in the original UP colors

It's doubtful, considering UP's strict licensing issues.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

How is it that these heritage schemes which have already been produced and distributed as freeware are okay, but the regular UP scheme is not? Seems to me they all would be restricted under the same "licensing issue" if they were indeed restricted.

UP's application for FOR-PROFIT COMPANIES (for money-collecting entities like Athearn, Lionel, Streamlines, etc)

http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/licensin...censee_app.pdf

UP's application for NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS (for money-collecting entities like historical societies, etc)

http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/licensin..._nonprofit.pdf

If you exist as neither of these (as non-money-collecting freeware product repainters do), then you are off the UP's radar.

Same thing I was wondering Ken

>How is it that these heritage schemes which have already been
    >produced and distributed as freeware are okay, but the regular
    >UP scheme is not? Seems to me they all would be restricted
    >under the same "licensing issue" if they were indeed
    >restricted.
    >
    >
    >
    >UP's application for FOR-PROFIT COMPANIES (for
    >money-collecting entities like Athearn, Lionel, Streamlines,
    >etc)
    >
    >http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/licensin...censee_app.pdf
    >
    >
    >
    >UP's application for NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS (for
    >money-collecting entities like historical societies, etc)
    >
    >http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/licensin..._nonprofit.pdf
    >
    >
    >If you exist as neither of these (as non-money-collecting
    >freeware product repainters do), then you are off the UP's
    >radar.
    >
    >
    >

Speaking as 1 of 2 people with pending freeware licence applications with UP in my group, And since you don't repaint or work for UP,...Help yourself,Slick!

>Speaking as 1 of 2 people with pending freeware licence
    >applications with UP in my group, And since you don't repaint
    >or work for UP,...Help yourself,Slick!
    >

Well, congrats on the pending license applications, but we're still trying to "connect the dots" as to how thats relevant to the questions posed.

I certainly hope this isn't the beginning of some 'faze' where certain people are going to extremes by acquiring licenses that aren't needed purely to achieve some form of community standing. I mean, hell, the licensing program is tough enough to navigate without people fabricating new needs for it out of thin air purely for status reasons.

UP's website very clearly states the program is for commercial uses of their logo.

http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/licensing/index.shtml

It also clearly states that "home use" by hobbyists is not applicable to the program.

Scenario A
    If I am a model railroader and I custom paint 5 UP boxcars for myself, I'm not obligated to get a license.

Scenario B
    If I'm a model railroader and I custom paint 5 UP boxcars and give them away to 5 friends for free, I'm STILL not obligated to get a license. My distribution is non-commercial.

Scenario C
    If I'm a model railroader and I custom paint 5 UP boxcars and sell them to the public at a model RR trade show, then I MOST CERTAINLY AM obligated to acquire a license.

Now, with regards to MSTS,

Anyone who sits at home and paints some UP textures for either freeware or payware locos for personal use on their home computer is similar in predicament to scenario A.

Anyone who paints up non-commercial MSTS Freeware models and distributes them via a website to the public for free (basically a non commercial model distributed in a non-commercial manner) would be similar to scenario B. This is where most freeware repainters are.

Anyone who paints up a model designed for commercial purposes and sells the resulting product to train-simmers via their website would fall under scenario C. This is where most payware vendors fall.

If anything is flawed in my conclusions, please document for the benefit of everyone. If not, then lets stop building artificial barriers to products that the community could benefit from.

This was done purely to "cover our butts" , because we do a lot of repaints of units past and present, that fall under UP's umbrella of trademarks. I could care less about community standing, as far as having the licence is concerned, and I see no reason for your remarks:
    " Well, congrats on the pending license applications, but we're still trying to "connect the dots" as to how thats relevant to the questions posed.
    I certainly hope this isn't the beginning of some 'faze' where certain people are going to extremes by acquiring licenses that aren't needed purely to achieve some form of community standing. I mean, hell, the licensing program is tough enough to navigate without people fabricating new needs for it out of thin air purely for status reasons."

Freak things happen in today's business world and other companies besides UP have adopted tough stances on trademarks, names and their usage. so why temp any sort of legal situation with a Corporation in a situation where you can't possibly win? Getting a licence was no skin off my butt and no big deal, so why are you trying to sound like some hi-powered attorney with all these reasons for not getting one?
    My answer above in was simple and to the point. UP has raised a stink about their trademarks being used; hence, not a lot of repaints lately. and BTW, good luck "Connecting the dots"
    :+