Thread: Nevada Northern

Default Nevada Northern

Folks, I'm gonna ask you for something that means a lot to me. This summer, I will most likely attend the 2007 NRHS Railcamp at the Nevada Northern Railway in Ely, Nevada. I was wondering if someone here would be able to create the route and equipment. I look at pictures of this small railroad, and I can't help but get anxious for the summer to come. Before I go I would like to be able to get familiar with the railroad, so I ask again, will someone please create the route and the equipment of the Nevada Northern Railway?

Default RE: Nevada Northern

Zak,
    I hardly believe anyone is going to take you up on your request because of the uncertainty of the need. I expect if you do a google search you will find several photos of their equipment. When I was there back in the 90's they had two steamers pulling an old heavy weight passenger train. The track should be seen from USAphotomaps program. It used to go west along US 50 to an old copper mine. They now use the track that runs north out of the city. It was a nice experience, but Ely is in the Middle of Nowhere. However, I was living at the Fallon Naval Air Station at the time which is also in the Middle of Nowhwere so it was not strange.

The area around Ely is high desert with little vegetation. Vistas allow great distance viewing of distant mountains. If you are driving west of Ely on US 50, "The Loneliest Road in Ameribobca", be sure to watch the almost daily aerial show east of Fallon.

Bob Edwards

I've always wanted to make the 40.It is a Baldwin 4-6-0 built in 1910. 68 inch drivers, lunkenheimer 3 chime whistle, high mounted headlight, clasic american turn-of-the-century steamer. Never thought anyone would want it so never started it. I might start this after christmas inf someone can get me pics.

>>...lunkenheimer 3 chime whistle...<<

Is #40's whistle really a Lunkenheimer 3-chime? That has to be one of the most eerie-sounding whistles I have ever heard. It sends chills up and down my spine every time I hear it. Strangely enough, I have also heard the exact same whistle on the Mt. Rainier Scenic's Shay and the Oregon Coast Scenic's Heisler locomotive.

http://www.skyfirevideo.com/steamloc...es/ghosttrain/

-Christian S.

I'm pretty sure it is a lunkenheimer, it might not be. I know some about steam whistles (not a "guru" by any stretch) but can tell how many chimes a whistle is by the sound. It sounds like the Ohio Central 1551, which again i BELIEVE is a lunkenheimer. Don't hold me to this. Please correct me if i'm wrong. But yes, i have heard it and yeas it is very eerie. There is just something about the whistles on the two afforementioned locos that just give you that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSF107 View Post
    Folks, I'm gonna ask you for something that means a lot to me. This summer, I will most likely attend the 2007 NRHS Railcamp at the Nevada Northern Railway in Ely, Nevada. I was wondering if someone here would be able to create the route and equipment. I look at pictures of this small railroad, and I can't help but get anxious for the summer to come. Before I go I would like to be able to get familiar with the railroad, so I ask again, will someone please create the route and the equipment of the Nevada Northern Railway?
    I repainted 40 a while ago.
    Rock and Roll!

Hi Bob,
    Both Ely and Fallon are actually Western Nowhere. I think Wray Colorado is the official Middle Of Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by classj611 View Post
    I repainted 40 a while ago.
    Original post was made in 2006.
    two full years ago.

Can you please stop bumping old threads?
    Last edited by PORU333; 03-23-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot a word.