Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMAX 1.2, new question

Default GMAX 1.2, new question

Friends,

I have had success in creating a simple object (cube) and exporting it to my 1 tile test route. The texture consists of a image on a transparent background, and the created .ace file works correctly with TSM assuming that I define the polygons as "transparent". In the perspective view of TSM, clear areas appear black, since the base image is an object surrounded by total black areas to create the alpha mask.

In GMAX, the appearance is the same, but when exported, the object is not transparent. The tutorial suggested was apparently never completed as the last entry mentioned future material on transparency etc. I would assume that somewhere there is a materials property definition in GMAX, but anyone have a hint as to how a surface might be defined as "transparent".

Jerry Sullivan
    (beginning to wish I knew something about AutoCad as GMAX is very similar)

Default RE: GMAX 1.2, new question

Just a reply to set E-mail notification

This is all from memory, as it's been a while since I played in the gmax MSTS gamepack material editor, but I think you want a shader that starts with BlendA (like BlendATexDiff) and the alpha test mode set to trans for a surface that supports 1-bit transparency.

Scott

Open the Material Tools window. It's the same window that you used to get the texure on there. But it'll be blank.

With your object selected, click the get! button on the tools window. the texture will be loaded into the Material tools.

Set the Shader to BlendaTexDiff. I don't remember what it does exactly, but that helps out with Alphas.

Find the Alpha Test Mode near the bottom. Set that to Trans.

Then, for giggles, with your object still selected, click the put! button. I don't think it does anything different, but it doesn't hurt.

Now you can close the window, and export the shape. The alpha will work this time. It especially needs to be set to Alpha Test Mode Trans, with the BlendaTexDiff helping out.

James

I thought I read somewhere that Gmax is no longer supported, so you might be flogging a dead horse anyway.

Hi Jerry,

If the Material Editor looks like the following:

http://www.3dtrains.com/screens/gmax_mat1.jpg

Then you'll need to start the MSTS version of Gmax from the Gmax\gamepacks\TrainSim folder or the Gmax MSTS shortcut (FWIW, either can be used with the MSTS export functions). I suspect, however, that you're doing things in the normal fasion, and that your Material Editor actually looks like the following:

http://www.3dtrains.com/screens/gmax_mat2.jpg

In which case, simply mimick the settings marked by the arrows, and you should be a-OK. If using full 8-bit alpha, simply leave the "Alpha Test Mode" alone, and then sort the object in the MSTS exporter. More information on sorting can be found here (which includes some good info on the use of Alphas, by the way):

http://www.christrains.com/faq.html

:)

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains
    http://www.3dtrains.com

[link:www.3dtrains.com/products/index.shtml|http://www.3dtrains.com/images/pro_funit_atsfmain.jpg]

Pro Series v4.0 SuperPacks

GMAX is no longer available from Discrete, and I suppose is not supported by them, but it is available from www.turbosquid.com which has some information about it.

My interest stems solely from the fact that it was stated on the MSTS-X forum that GMAX was being used to create objects for the new MS train simulator (MSTS-X). Whether that is really true or not, I don't know and certainly a company like Microsoft would also have the full-blown software on which GMAX is based as well.

Personally, my preference and hope is that Abacus will upgrade TSM to work with the new sim, once it comes out. This might be done with no more than a plug-in for TSM or a converter, but we await finding out. Meanwhile, I have pretty well figured out 3D/C and thought I would play a little with GMAX as well.

Jerry Sullivan

Well Mark, what it does, is it pops up correctly and then reverts to the first image that you have shown.

At this point, I have the MSTS tool at the top, and then if I go into preferences and reset the tools to the startup screen, I get the material editor & navigator and still have the MSTS tool.

I then followed your instructions concerninig transparency and it works like a charm, possibly better than TSM, although the necessity for creating a .sd file by hand seems a bit cumbersome, however, since I am mainly creating static objects, bridges, flat people, etc., it is not too much of a bother.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to create precise shapes. I made a cube, textured it with a flat people texture, and had people on all 6 sides, and about 50' tall at once, heh, heh.

Jerry Sullivan

Once you get your head around some of the gizmos, Jerry, it's a piece of cake. :)

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains
    http://www.3dtrains.com

[link:www.3dtrains.com/products/index.shtml|http://www.3dtrains.com/images/pro_funit_atsfmain.jpg]

Pro Series v4.0 SuperPacks

>My interest stems solely from the fact that it was stated on
    >the MSTS-X forum that GMAX was being used to create objects
    >for the new MS train simulator (MSTS-X). Whether that is
    >really true or not, I don't know and certainly a company like
    >Microsoft would also have the full-blown software on which
    >GMAX is based as well.

Not sure where you got that, but over in the MSTS-X forum Mike (tdragger) from MS stated "BTW, FWIW the team uses 3DS Max for all our content generation."

While I would like to see gmax supported for content creation in TSX I am not holding my breath for it. My guess is that 3D Canvas will become the defacto standard for virtually all third-party train simulator modelling regardless of the title (ie KRS, TSX, TRS).
    Ray