Thread: What might be wrong

Default What might be wrong

Built this using GMAX and as you can see from the screenshots looking from the rear forward all shows but if you look from the front to the rear the handrails and lights don't show till your almost beside them.
    The berm/track/handrails/lights and walkway are all one object.Any thoughts as to wh ythis happens.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks

http://www.notch-8.com/
    http://www.railroadradio.net
    http://www.RFCHosting.com/

Default RE: What might be wrong

What Program are you using?

Reason I ask is because from the sounds of what you are describing, it sounds like a problem with your LODs.

The easiest way to cure this is to redo the distance levels to the object, if any exist. That's also provided they were setup manually, or if the program used did it for you.

Hope this gets you somewhat on the right path. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Thomas J Pearce

Broadway Limited Locomotive Works
    Come see our Railworks rolling stock

I don't believe it's an LOD issue. How many polys is your shape? Are the hand rail stantions an alpha texture, or is each post a few polys?

James

Shape info: no LODs, 380 polys, no alpha textures.

I was thinking that there may be too many polys on it, and it was being selective about displaying them. But I don't think 380 will do that, unless it is 380 per 10 meters or something.

I would just try to export it another time or two, then work on a different part of the route.

James

I think it might be a vector/normal issue. If you look, in pictures two and three the left posts and fence are brighter and a different shade than the right. Also, the tops of the horizontal rails, lamp heads and concrete bases are still visible in picture one even though the rest of the fence has disappeared. This suggests that the vectors/normals specified for the left half of the object may have been scrambled in creating the object.

It also might be a problem with the "surface sense" on the left. The left side might be "inside-out" for some of the polys.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Check your pivots, if you end up making a part, moving it a long way from it's pivot, and leaving the pivot at origin instead of with the object, it will do exactly what you're showing there... Basically, MSTS measures the LOD from the pivot. and seems to get confused if they're not together.

Robert