Thread: TGATool help please

Default TGATool help please

I made this DTC sign in TSM and tried to alpha ou the gray around the sign to give it a rounded look, heres what TGATool Sees:

What ShapeViewer sees:

Im not sure how the alpha channel works when creating a new shape as I have never used it on my own projects. I stick to simple texures on squares. Is there some way to change this?

Default RE: TGATool help please

Nick,

You might check this. Uncompress and open the shape file and search for shader_names. You may see something like:

shader_names ( 1
    named_shader ( TexDiff )
    )

If so, change it to read:

shader_names ( 1
    named_shader ( BlendATexDiff )
    )

NOTE: TEX and TEXDIFF are for textures having no alpha; BLENDATEX and BLENDATEXDIFF are for when an alpha is present. Tailor the changes to suit what you find.

The '_Tex' shaders are unlit; the '_TexDiff' are lit, here's what that really means.

"Lit", or having "_Diff" specified, indicates that the texture (whether called in either .env or .s files) will respond to the presence or absence of light. "Lit" in the sense that appropriate "light" is applied. So "lit" at night means it will become dark. :)

regards,
    charlie

I believe that in TSM you have to assign the polys as having a transparency.

Since it's in the Shape file as to what can be transparent and what can't be, it's in TSM somewhere.

Reference Tim Muir's tutorial on Crips Lettering at Steam4Me:
    http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trai...ls/letter.html

About halfway down it mentions what to do with the poly to get it to alpha.

James

Nick,

I'm not conversant with TSM... but could it be something as simple as 're-positioning' the image (text)?

Have a sparkling evening,
    Bob
    Have a sparkling day,
    Bob

[SIGPIC]https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic56455_1.gif/[SIGPIC]

Ok, I did what Charlie suggested, and it got the signfront but I think James is right too, that you have to tell the poly what to do. When you look at the back of the sign, its still square.

Bob, I dont think adjusting the textures would help that much. Im really thinking this problem is something to do with the polys/shape.

If the back of the sign is still square, that suggests another poly is in use. MSTS does not use double sided polys.

Beer is not a matter of life and death. It is much more serious than that.
    mervyn.

Hi Nick,

Don't forget to change all your alpha material to Trans-norm, (it's all the way to the bottom of the material list).

That will get rid of the see-through troubles you have in the pic above.
    GM&O SIMULATIONS
    www.mstsgmo.com

Nick, in the grand scheme of things, can a person tell from any of the views, that the back of the signs have square edges, vice rounded? It looks like only 6 pixels per corner are affected.

James