Thread: Using Sketchup .skm files as MSTS textures

Default Using Sketchup .skm files as MSTS textures

Hi everyone.

I have just started to use Sketchup and wanted to use the built-in textures, but couldn't find any jpg files. However, one of the aircraft forums suggested that the .skm files are actually just renamed zip files.

The way to get at at the texture images is

1. copy the appropriate .skm file and rename it to a .zip file, OR alter Zip/RAR to also open .skm files.

2 Open the archive, and in the REF folder is a jpg file.

3. resize the jpg image to a power of 2 (optionally trimming things like the brick patterns to get them square but retaining the repeating pattern)

4. Convert to bmp and then to ACE file with TGAtool or similar.

I see from earlier posts that you already know that the MSTS exporter plugin deletes the initial letter of all texture names, but it is easy enough to edit the .S file in Wordpad to correct this.

I haven't yet worked out how to export any transparency information, I presume that it will have to be recreated as an alpha channel? I woudl appreciate any advice on how to do this, I'm still a bit new to texturing.

Default RE: Using Sketchup .skm files as MSTS textures

Unless I misunderstood… try this… it might be easier.

Open your (.skm textured) SU model.
    Select the paint bucket.
    In the drop-down window, select IN MODEL
    Place cursor over (and highlight) desired texture to export.
    Right click texture… select EXPORT TEXTURE IMAGE.
    New window… select destination, keep texture name (if changed, you‘ll need to change the resultant .S file when generated), select BMP file… SAVE.
    If need be… resize/reshape new texture.bmp file to square proportion (IrfanView is helpful) and appropriate size (126/256/512 etc).
    Open your saved .BMP in TGATOOL2... Save as .ace file

Have a sparkling day,
    Bob
    Have a sparkling day,
    Bob

[SIGPIC]https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic56455_1.gif/[SIGPIC]

Default RE: Using Sketchup .skm files as MSTS textures

I should have guessed there was another way of doing it because all the questions about skm files had stopped :) Thanks for the tip.