Thread: Cajon Install Problem

Default Cajon Install Problem

I finally was impressed enough to download this route. I ran the exe in it and I get to 46% done and it says that there is an error and I need to run the exe again. Time and time again, it stops there. The file's name is TERRTEX/CajonOroGQtr.ace. Has anyone else had this happen when installing Cajon?

Default RE: Cajon Install Problem

Nick:

I just finished installing the route. There were no problems with the install. Ran the sim and buffers were generated. Haven't run the route yet till I correct previously posted errors.

Would suggest you redownload the route ( hope you don't have dialup ) and try again.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

I just completed re-downloading and I still have the problem. :(

Good Morning:

The readme says that the files have to extracted to a temp file before running the .exe.

This is the mistake that I made and after doing this the route unpacked fine.

Hope this helps.

Chandler

All I can say is this route IS WORTH IT. I lived in LA for 17 years, and rode AMTRAK through downtown and chased 3985 through CAJON.

Once you get it downloaded, and unzipped to a TEMP folder, then run the exe in the TEMP folder, then add the yellowbuffer.ace (a track bumper for spurs) to the route's textures folder, then run the activity included, which will generate the terrain buffers. Once you see that you are running along the LA river, stop the activity and install Mike Sinclair's trees and textures. Read those instructions first. There is no install.bat since a large % of the objects are new, and not copied over from the 6 MSTS routes. That is a GOOD thing.

I also added Alan Hudon's road upgrade .ace files to the textures folder, then deleted a few cars from the carspawner.dat to reduce the vehicle traffic a small amount.

I have spent hours adding addtional tumbleweeds and shub forrest to the east. Its a very good route. Some have complained that the track changes grade too ubruptly. Where those transitions occur, the track is being fit to a very accurate altitude/terrain mesh. The immensity of the pass itself is very evident.

I can believe that the author worked on it for 5 years...I heard that here somewhere.

Charlie

Hello Charlie,

I have been running the route towards LA from Barstow and find its a really great piece of work, can you tell me how i can add those tumbleweeds and shrubs it will make the landscape a bit more interesting,

Thanks Dodger.

>can you
    >tell me how i can add those tumbleweeds and shrubs it will
    >make the landscape a bit more interesting,

You really don't want to know that. I'm sure it involves the route editor, and a chance of screwing up the route.

What you want is for Charlie to either package up the tumbleweeds upgrades or get Patrick to add them to a V1.5 or the route and post them to the file library (hint, hint). (If they aren't from payware routes.)

The route editor, yes. Learned how to add basic vegetation using lessons that Mike Sinclair has posted in the library in:

preditor.zip

I have a 1974 Trains mag on Cajon Pass and sure enough, there a lot of small round looking shrubs that litter the actual pass area, from track side to quite a ways up the hillsides, unless they are sandstone. Although I have been through the area many times, its funny about trains...when you are looking for them, you kind of forget about what anything else looked like. I have been using two of Patrick's forrest objects- weeds1 and weeds2 for large scale forrestation. Forrest objects are much easier on frame rates than individual objects.

If you do decide to get into the RE for this route (why not, motivation is an enabler and you have the zip file to reload if you really mess it up) the RE starts out at the east end of Barstow (the end of the line), and it makes a good place to practice placing forrest objects and individual plants and such.

What I did when running the route the first time was display the LAT/LON (zero key) and wrote down locations in about 20 places where I decided to come back in the RE and work.

Patrick's route already comes with a large selection of vegetation and CP specific plants to pick from.