Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scenic Sub (Streamlines) questions

Default Scenic Sub (Streamlines) questions

How good is this route? Is it worth the cost, considering its almost twice as much as routes from MLT? Is there plenty of industry sidings? What is the actual territory covered? (I know it covers Stevens Pass, but how far does it stretch at the ends?) I also noticed in their screenshots that the switch stands have what looks like oversized handles or levers on them, sticking up in the air. Are they mouse-controlled? What kind of rolling stock (cars) does one get with the route? How many engines total are included? Is there any diagram or map of the route available anywhere? Has anybody had problems with the route since the long-awaited patch came out?

Canberra, Australian Capital T, Australia.

Default RE: Scenic Sub (Streamlines) questions

I'd say yes, it is worth the money. Even if you don't like the route itself, you get 41 pieces of rolling stock (well cars, centrebeams, TOFC, boxcars, etc), locomotives from B48-8s to GP38s to ES44ACs, and associated cab views and sounds.
    According to their site, the route is 140 miles long.

Does the sim cover the line all the way to Interbay? Or does it end somewhere short of that? Their website really doesnt mention that.

Joe O Guest

The western end of the SLI route is at Mukilteo.

Basically I am debating SLI's Stevens Pass route and MLT's Rogers Pass route.

Stevens is 140 miles, Rogers is 130 miles.

SLI gives you lots of rolling stock, but so does MLT, and MLT doesnt have a history of a strict repaint distribution policy, so their shape files unlock hordes of repaints done by others that are available and that probably outnumber those 41 pieces of rolling stock you get with the SLI pack.

MLT's price for Rogers is $25. SLI is $42. Something more needs to be there to justify SLI's higher cost. One of those things I would expect would be diverse terrain, changing from a single track mountain pass line to a double track along-the-sound flat terrain cruise that would be possible on Stevens Pass. But ending way short of Interbay does bother me, as it sorta denies quite a bit (mileage-wise) of the geographic and operational diversity that one would expect for the added money. This kind of stuff is what bothers me the most about payware companies.

Does the mileage from Everett to Mukilteo actually feature double track running along the Puget Sound shoreline?

What are the top speed limits on the Scenic Sub? Thats the only negative thing I had about Rogers pass, where its all 20-25-30 mph railroading. Kinda slow going.... lol

Anybody have an answer regarding the earlier switch stand question?

Thanks for any answers, folks!

I have both. The Scenic Sub route is more detailed and the rolling stock/locomotives are much better. But the Roger's Pass route is a little friendlier on the frame rates and has some of the most breathtaking scenery ever made for an MSTS route, IMO. It really transports you into the heart of the Canadian Rockies. You can't go wrong with either one, as they both provide top-notch mountain railroading experiences! :)

by far..i think the SLI route is worth the money..due to the quality of work done w/ the route..the rolling stock alone is worth the price..plus, the route itself is a work of art..

and if you're worried about paying $40 bucks for a route..maybe you haven't looked in to the MS Flight Simulators..a pack of like 5 or 6 aircraft costs well over $30, and 3Dtrainstuff's routes cost more than the game itself..

You pay for what you get..and for $40 bucks..you get one HELL of a route..worth the price of admission if you ask me
    --BNSF Conductor--

>maybe you haven't looked in to the MS Flight
    >Simulators..a pack of like 5 or 6 aircraft costs well over $30

Considering the "demand" driven by the volume of FS users which are probably thousands of times higher than TS users, I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

TS has no where near the following to support skewed pricing through "reputation" factors. It still comes down to how much "bang for the buck" one gets from each payware outfit. When TS gains the following of FS, then I'll think differently. As it stands now, the TS following is so low the product cant even stay within the Microsoft family.

Canberra, Australian Capital T, Australia.

Kenny, unless you hate BNSF or your computer has performance issues, than you will like the Scenic Sub, and it will be worth it. And even if you utterly despise the route, the stock can be used anywhere. Look back through the screenshots here: if it's BNSF and looks pro, it's from Scenic.

For one I would say that SLI's Steven's Pass route wins hand's down regarding quality and that mostly due to the higher quality rolling stock.

Rogers Pass has a lot of stuff that originates in the KHP2 days which merely has been recycled. Now that does not mean its bad, it is just not up to today's standards anymore.

Roger's Pass has nice scenery, as it has been said, it has breath taking scenery, nice vegetation and all. MLT managed to do a nice simulation of that slow hauling bulk commodity trains that do frequent the line.

Now, with the scenic sub, you get a line that runs from south of Mukilteo along the Puget Sound. You can switch the various piers there as also go up the steep grade (6%?) to the Boeing Facility. Then you can go either up to Delta Yard (and the around to the mainline again) or through the tunnel following the main. The line then runs through lush farm land until you begin climbing the grade just after Skykomish.

IMHO SLI really did a good capture of the lush western slope and the more arid eastern slope of the pass. Enroute there are a couple of industries to switch (IIRC, a couple of lumber businesses, a gravel mine and on the eastern slope there are heaps of fruit growing companies). The vegetation on this route is just the best of all SLI's routes.

Regarding speed limites, IIRC, speedlimits are a maximum of F55/P70.

As it has been pointed out SLI's rolling stock is EXCELLENT, as are the sounds.
    Cheers,
    Sebastian