Thread: Sumpter Valley Route?...

Default Sumpter Valley Route?...

Hello all. Before I download Stephen Thompson's and Tim Muir's Sumpter Valley Railway route, I would like to know a few things.
    1: how long is this route?
    2: what are the operating possibilities for this route?
    3: Also, can someone be kind enough to either post some pictures, or e-mail them to me. thanks for any help.

EDIT: Also what about the D&RGW narrow-guage route?

Default RE: Sumpter Valley Route?...

There are about 65 miles of track, including a couple of logging lines. The logging lines are what provide the operating possibilities, and I think there are some activities developed for that - I'm not sure about that, though. I don't have any screenshots, but here is a map of the route:

There are a couple of DRGW narrow gauge routes - the Cumbres Pass line and the Durango-Silverton line. Their operational potential is somewhat limited because they're both point-to-point single-line routes. The challenges for those routes is to operate the steamers up the grades, and if you're running a passenger train, to keep to the schedule. They can be set up for a meet (or several), but there's not a huge amount of switching on either end, and there are no spurs to speak of that would bring in significant traffic from industries along the line (which are pretty much none).

That said, I like the NG routes in general, mostly for the grades and scenery. If you load the locos up to their limits, climbing the grades can be challenge enough for me.

(Edit - forgot this part)
    The Sumpter Valley route is very nicely done. The scenery is first-rate, and it's well detailed. Steve and Tim do very good work, and it definitely shows in the route.

Andy

hmmm... 65 mils? not too bad. Are there any other American narrow guage lines you might suggest, be them logging, mining, or anything else. I'm looking for free-ware. thanks

There is also a newly released narrow gauge route. Its the
    Colorado& Southern...South Park Route. It has great detail, and is very challenging to run. I'm not sure the length of the route. However, this is the map of the route that was uploaded with the route.

Now if you want to see some pics I took of the route you can go here
    http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index...howtopic=11211
    John Rehus III

Is the rout right there on 3dtrains.com? Because those screen shots of your are spectacular, to say the least.

No, the route is here on train-sim in the file library. Its worth the download.
    John Rehus III

Very nice route indeed!

Just a few shots I have taken on this route.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/jay611/sv9.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/jay611/sv6.jpg

Cheers,

Jason Underwood
    Newport News, Virginia
    CSX Peninsula Sub MP.16
    [email protected]
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...RWY_5103_L.gif

>Are there any other American narrow guage lines
    >you might suggest, be them logging, mining,
    >or anything else. I'm looking for free-ware...

Well, yes. Try this:
    Log in to the file library and search the file section "MSTS Routes" for the text "narrow". That will let you see most of them. For some reason the "Rio Grande Southern" won't respond to "narrow"; search for that separately.

You'll need at least narrow gauge tracks; download and install "Xtracks.zip" first.

regards,
    charlie