Thread: PRR Middle Division prototypical speeds

Default PRR Middle Division prototypical speeds

Does anyone know about the prototypical speed limits/restrictions in BLW's PRR Middle Division project? I purchased this route a year ago, I am quite happy with that, however, it is all 80 mph (except for signal speed restrictions). I do not believe you speed down horseshoe at 80, nor you fly into Harrisburg at the same speed. There must have been some restrictions in the PRR era, and I bet there are similar limits in Conrail time and today.

I searched the web but found nothing helpful. Is someone out there who can help me out (or even has the original trackage chart, perhaps scanned)

Best regards,

Horst

Default RE: PRR Middle Division prototypical speeds

Hello Horst,
    Because of a recent move I do not have my Conrail timetables handy, but I do believe 80 mph is a bit fast. If I remember correctly, the speed between Gallitzin and Altoona was 25 mph, with the slide being somewhere around 10 mph. The slide was on tracks 1 & 2 between Gallitzin and Benny. I think the average mainline speed was between 50 and 55 mph. Of course maximum speeds depended on train type. Loaded mineral trains had a slower speed than Truc-Trains (PRR term, Trailvan's in the Conrail era) which usually ran at passenger train speeds and general freights were somewhere in between. I hope this helps some :)

Take care,
    Rich S.

Rich,

that helps me very much as I have not been able to find out the speed limits at horseshoe curve. I only have some passenger tts that could give some clues of average speeds but no exact numbers. Perhaps someone knows the maximum speed for passenger trains.

Thank you very much, :D

Horst

Well, finally I find a source:

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/prrtrkch.html

This is a well-made internet site witch much information especially about Horseshoe (see also ../../rr.html)

Thanks to all,

Horst