Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backward switches

Default Backward switches

Is there some utility that repairs the backward switches in MSTS automatically?

Default RE: Backward switches

What exactly do you mean by "backward switches"?
    Being that a picture is worth a thousand words, could you provide a screenshot of what you see as the problem?

............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Here's what I mean. It's a very strange problem that you'd think they would have patched.

You must be running in explore mode? MSTS always aligns the points for the thru route of a switch. Go ahead and run the points, it won't cause a derailment.

yeah I know it won't derail
    it just looks really weird

Ahh! I see what you mean. Actually that would be referred to as running through a closed switch. If you are running explore route mode you will get this but it won't cause trouble unless you try to reverse your train before you clear the switch. It's basically a visual problem. The switch is actually lined for the player as you can see in my screenshot (the switch monitor at lower right) but visually the switch itself looks like it's not lined correctly. This is the same switch at Baltimore you posted in your screenshot. BTW what is a IRT Seventh Ave Local doing at Baltimore. Motorman got lost? :P

In Explore Mode, the switch REALLY does not line correctly and you will notice a slight jump when you run through it. No matter, you wont derail. In the real world you would split the switch for a nice $$50K bill or therabout. :o
    There is a problem if you try to reverse your train without clearing the switch, your train will try to take each exit, usually breaking couplers or derailing.

Reversing in an activity before clearing the switch will work okay though. The switch just LOOKS like it's not lined. See switch monitor.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Yea, it's the Taking of Pelham 123 the sequel :P

I just used that car cause it was lower to the ground and it would provide better shots of the switch.

Thanks for the info. Strange problem but no big deal I guess. I noticed it the first time I played train simulator.

P.s. are those scalerail track on your NEC? How'd you change the signals too?

thanks for the replies guys

No, not ScaleRail, just upgraded track textures that are part of the route. The picture is not the NEC. . .it's the NECv4, available in the file library as a single ~30mb download that automatically installs (when you ask it to) a complete new route. Also has the CSX Capitol subdivision (Washington to Philly), part of the Washington Metro and the Baltimore Light Rail Line from Baltimore to Glenn Burnie, Md. Each of the added divisions has it's own protypical signals.
    This is one of the easiest installs (just two clicks after you download it) of a route in the file library. Look for necv4.zip
    It doesn't affect any of your presently installed routes but does require all 6 MSTS default routs be installed.
    As to the signals, the route has a custom signal set designed by Hank Sundermeyer (Signalmaster). that are protypical as to what the signals are on the present day real route.

Just be sure to completely read the readme file. Look in the route folder after it installs for a route docs folder. There is a crude map in there(see below). There are also a very fine detailed set of maps of the route somewhere in the library. Use the search function to find it.

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

The only time I have seen MSTS do this (Explore or otherwise) was when it gets "confused" from peculiar track layouts. These include certain layouts of wyes, reversing loops, and other odd situations that one can encounter laying and traveling on track. It seems you can still drive over it, but it refuses to throw the swich back to normal (or visa versa in other situations) from either direction of travel. Would probably just make it lock up anyways.

Anyone know what I mean?