Thread: L&HR Activites Install V1.2 Problem

Default L&HR Activites Install V1.2 Problem

Hello,
    This is related to a previous thread at
    [Link Expired]

I am new to train sims, so bear with me. I recently installed the L&HR V 1.0. 1.1, & 1.2. I was sucessful loading the base route up through V1.2 and get it running (thanks to the thread above) and use the Explore Route only. I can call up and run the basic L&HR engine list and associated consists.

My problems began when I unpacked the AO-4 activities. AO activity crashes with shape errors as reported earlier. The eng_25_ao4.con consist in ConBuilder_Lite showed 2 missing AI engines 28 & 29 and cabin car 16. The LHR16 car showed up in the consist after the .wag file fix to its "Wagon" name(match file name LHR16) but not on the frieght list in ConBuilder_Lite. I created the AI engines using Route_Riter as recommended. I got them to show in the eng_25_ao4 consist after I tweeked their wagon names to delete a "#" character prefixing the "Wagon" names so ConBuilder would read them. Fired up the application and MSTS flat out crashed. Used my backup to get back to start point.

BTW the AO-4 unpack had a flag about its creation being done in a previous version. I ignored it and installed anyway.

So here is where I am now:
    1. Back to functioning base Explore Route with no activities unpacked.
    2. LHR16 still not showing on ConBuilder_Lite list as available stock (changed "Wagon" name to "LHR16" in .wag file)
    3. LHR17 still not showing on ConBuilder_Lite list as available stock (changed "Wagon" name to "LHR17" in .wag file)
    4. The LHR 25, 28, 29AI engines have a "#" character in front of the "Wagon" name (e.g. "#LHR25AI"), which I assume Route Riter placed on them when they were created.
    5. I have installed but not checked the remaining elc331, elc424, and elgp35 downloaded files (I assume they are OK because Route Riter and Conbuilder has not issued an error report on these).

Appreciate any help to get me rolling. Thanks.

-mack52md

Default RE: L&HR Activities Install V1.2 Problem

Hello Carl,
    For the cabooses the Folder name, filename and wagon name all need to be the same. For the AI engines the filename should be LHR25AI, this should also match the wagon and engine name with in the engine file. One other thing you may want to do while you have the engine files open in a text editor, is change the display name, "Name (" located near the bottom of the file to reflect it's an AI engine. I just named mine:

Name ("L&HR C420 #25 AI")

To make them easier to find in the Activity editor when creating consists. Hope this helps.

Take care,
    Rich S.

Default RE: L&HR Activites Install V1.2 Problem

Downloaded and installed the activity without problems. Runs fine. The # in the AI files does not seem to affect anything. The 16 caboose did not give me any problem, but #7 caused some problems as the consist is looking for a slightly different file name. Been a few weeks since I insalled those, so I don't actually recall what wag file the sim is looking for. You might want to try Route Control, the lite version should be in the file library, which I find to be a great help with activities and consists.
    Moving America one virtual train at a time.

Thanks Rich and Ken for the respsones. I'll give it a shot.

-Carl a.k.a mack52md

Progress Report:

1. I went back to square one on the trainset loads.

2. I downloaded the "Route Control Lite" application as Ken suggested. It was helpful. It nailed down the engine recognition problems that "ConBuilder Lite" and "Route Riter" didn't pick up. Apparently the folder names were the key. They were case sensitive. Folder names changed to "Lhrc420b", "Lhrc420c", and "Lhr_c420s" did the trick. No edits to the .eng files required. All engine files are now recognized by ConBuilder and MSTS Acrtivity Editor. This little task was like cracking a combo on a safe. Thanks Ken!

3. The LHR 16 & 17 cabooses appear to be a lost cause at this point. Despite all the tweeking to file names and wagon names, MSTS Activity editor shows an error in reading their shape files. Maybe a bad load? Anyway, I'm taking them out for the time being. I'll edit their consists and swap them for a similar caboose I have in the library (NE_Caboose).

4. Route Control Lite reported a missing LHR26.eng from Lhrc420b folder. This engine does not exist in the LHRC420b.zip download or any of the other C-420 files. I am assuming there may have been a #26 engine in an earlier version and was removed at some point by the owner and is called for in an unpacked consist?

5. Route Control also reported missing trains from consist LHR420S.con, which I assume is still unpacked and has the problem cabooses?

6. Other engines and the 311 caboose loads went smooth.

Question for Rich S.: When I create the AI engines, do they reside in their parent folders or do I need to create separate AI folders for each and cut and paste the files to the new folders? I assume they can stay in their respective parent folders. Also, #25 engine is duplcated in the 420s folder and the 420b folder, which folder do I create an #25AI in? Both?

I'm going to back-up everything at this point as a baseline and attempt to unpack AO-4 activity and see if I can edit the consists to get it running.

Thanks for your help and patience on this.

-Carl

>Progress Report:
    >
    >3. The LHR 16 & 17 cabooses appear to be a lost cause at this
    >point. Despite all the tweeking to file names and wagon
    >names, MSTS Activity editor shows an error in reading their
    >shape files. Maybe a bad load? Anyway, I'm taking them out
    >for the time being. I'll edit their consists and swap them
    >for a similar caboose I have in the library (NE_Caboose).
    >
    Could it be a corrupt download? Other than changing the .wag file name on 17 and correcting the wag names to match the folder names for both 16 and 17, no problems.

>4. Route Control Lite reported a missing LHR26.eng from
    >Lhrc420b folder. This engine does not exist in the
    >LHRC420b.zip download or any of the other C-420 files. I am
    >assuming there may have been a #26 engine in an earlier
    >version and was removed at some point by the owner and is
    >called for in an unpacked consist?
    >

Not at my MSTS computer right now, but I believe that there was a problem with the original 420b and 420s downloads as they both contained the same locos. Look for the LH&R 420 download that has "fix" in the name. That should solve your problem.

>5. Route Control also reported missing trains from consist
    >LHR420S.con, which I assume is still unpacked and has the
    >problem cabooses?
    >

RC does report which rolling stock is missing and then moves the consist to the RC folder in the main consist folder.
    >
    >Question for Rich S.: When I create the AI engines, do they
    >reside in their parent folders or do I need to create separate
    >AI folders for each and cut and paste the files to the new
    >folders? I assume they can stay in their respective parent
    >folders. Also, #25 engine is duplcated in the 420s folder and
    >the 420b folder, which folder do I create an #25AI in? Both?
    >
    >I'm going to back-up everything at this point as a baseline
    >and attempt to unpack AO-4 activity and see if I can edit the
    >consists to get it running.
    >
    >Thanks for your help and patience on this.
    >
    >-Carl

BINGO Ken! There was a fix in the library for the Eng #26 issue. Thanks!

It's come down to the AI engines. Route Control and Route Riter are happy but ConBuilder & MSTS Activity editor doesn't like the AI engines names LHR25AI, 28AI, 29AI. MSTS says there is an error in reading "Line 4" of the files.

Route Riter spits out an AI engine with a "#" prefix on the file name (e.g. #LHR25.eng). I renamed the Wagon names to match the file name scheme "LHR25AI.eng" and I get the error on Line 4 problem.

I took another shot at refreshing LHR 16 & 17 with new downloads from the library. Route Riter and Route Control sees them but, MSTS Activity Editor and ConBuilder doesn't see them even after changing wagon names and matching folders. I'll tinker with them on the side and see if I can crack the problem.

-Carl

Hello Carl,
    Have you tried using Engmod to do a bracket check on the engines and cabooses? You can also run all your rolling stock thru the 5 checks in Route Riter under the Activities/Stock tab, just make sure you go in order the buttons are numbered.

Take care,
    Rich S.

Carl,

You've got mail!

Think I have licked the AI engine and caboose issues.

AI Engines - Seems the trick needed to get the AI engines working to the consist name (e.g. "LHR##AI") was to make a copy of the parent .eng file in another folder, make the edits and renames to the copy, then move the copy to the trainset folder, then create the AI engines through Route Riter. Once that was done, I went back in and removed the "#" prefixes that Route Riter installed within the .eng file and file name. ConBuilder now sees them as legal AI engines that match the consist call-outs. For some reason when you create the AI in Route Riter and then edit afterwards, it doesnt work and is not recognized unless it has a "#" prefix. Editing the .eng file before conversion to AI went much better.

LHR16 & LHR17 caboose files have a bad line. When I scanned other rolling stock I noticed none of them had a comment line below the "Wagon" name. These files do! I deleted these comment lines. I believe they are illegal for this format. I then realigned the folder, file, and Wagon names to match (even the .ace file names). That seemed to do the trick.

Rich,

I downloaded EngMod but it wasn't much help on this problem. Thanks. It will come in handy later I'm sure.

Frank,

Never got your mail. I suspect my firewall through it in my junk bin. Sorry about that. Need to add you to the safe list. LOL

Ready to give the activty loads another shot and see if the consists match up. May be some tweeking to some file names but, I think I have it licked.

Thanks for all the assist!

-Carl