Thread: consist files

Default consist files

Good Evening All,

Following is a list of files that I have downloaded. I need to build a consist with them. On conbuilder when it ask for file name do I use the same file name as the one in the f/b.The only thing the readme says is to create a consist and enjoy. These files are: alwnsset.zip, alwsfgr.zip, mon264v2.zip, amtkbag1.zip, vx195box.zip and ugpac1.zip. When I extracted these file all I got was a readme. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks, Rob

Default RE: consist files

Not at my home computer so some of this is from memory. I know the amtkbag1, alwnsset and vx195box all contain the files for these units to run. I would guess that one of two things happened - first, the downloads are corrupt (highly unlikely all were bad) and second that you are not using the correct directory when you are unzipping. I always unzip to a temporary directory and install from that location.
    Moving America one virtual train at a time.

Hi Rob,

not entirely sure whether I figured out your question correctly:

> On conbuilder when it ask for file name do I use the same file name as the one in the f/b.

Whatever you ment by f/b is beyond my knowledge (maybe it is all clear for the native English speakers, but for the rest of our international audience here it is not).

But anyways: If you ment "when Conbuilder is asking what name to give to the new consist..." then the answer is simple: You are free to name a new consist as you like, as long as it is not a consist file name already in use (you wouldn't want to accidentally overwrite a consist used in another activity). It is usually quite helpful to follow some inner logic in naming the consist, so that you can later easily figure out what it is: For example, the name could include the road name & engine you are using to lead the consist, and a hint at what kind of cars you pull around:

Amtrak_P32_Superliner_x12.con
    BNSF_3x_D9_InterModal_x60.con

are pretty self-explanatory. Just keep in mind that the file name must not be longer than 30 characters, or MSTS will get a bad case of hick-ups.

However: If you ment "when in Conbuilder what file name do I look for to find my new waggon", then the answer depends a bit:

- If the .wag file does not contain a line
    Name ( "Whatever Car Name Here" )
    then you will find your new piece of equipment listed under the actual file name, which in the above, ficticious example could be Whatever_Car_Name.wag

- If the .wag file does contain a name line, then the car will be alphabetically listed in the appropriate sections (e.g. freight car for the ALW cars, passenger carriages for the Amtrak Budd Baggage) under the name the repainter has given it in the .wag file.

- Now as each repainter has his or her own logic of assigning name lines, it might not always be obvious where to look. Which is why many users start editing the name lines to suit their own needs, and that of course involves "messing with the .wag file".

I won't dig into that subject, as we do have a FAQ section here that explains the basics, and as the MSTS installation disk contains an entire folder full of TechDocs telling you how .wag and .eng files have to be set up.

Ah, one final word, just to avoid confusion: in the case of your downloads which as far as I recall from the .zip file names seem to be waggons, you cannot just "build a consist" with the unpowered cars "and enjoy them". To be technically 100% correct you will have to include the new waggons in a consist lead by a locomotive. But I assume this is pretty logical and does not need to be further explained ;-)

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

Maybe he should try reading the help file for conbuilder.It works.

Guys I meant file library lol. f/l not f/b. Thanks for the info. I will double check my files to see if they are in the right place. Also will let you guys know what I find.

Rob