Thread: Failed to restore saved activity - TWIF!!!!!

Default Failed to restore saved activity - TWIF!!!!!

Hi there.

The famous Train World Initialization Failure message is something that is regularly asked about. Myself and others have been experiencing this message when trying to restore saved activities on my own route "Westvale"

Firstly I thought that the Environment files were the problem. I swapped out Westvale's EFs for the ones used in Great Eastern. This made no difference. I even used Westvale's EFs in Great Eastern and tested several activities, all restored OK.

Next I Checked all of the rolling stock used for dodgy shape and/or sd files. One or two were found, which were corrected, but this didn't solve the problem either.

Then I deleted all of the rolling stock from the activity and ran it. Only the first 8 minutes needed to be run before I had found the problem occurring previously. NO error occurred at this stage. I then restored all of the static consists and ran the activity for 8 minutes. NO error occurred. I then restored the AI traffic and ran the first 8 minutes and the error did occur then. After a process of elimination I found that only AI traffic passing from west to east through Boxfield caused the error to happen. Even if I used a consist that I had proved as OK that ran from east to west. It seemed that the error only occurs when AI traffic run from west to east through the station.

I then narrowed it down a bit further. A train running into the station from the west could stop at the platform, and if the activity was saved at this point, no TWIF occurred upon restoration.

But if the train was allowed to leave the station and pass the signal the error occurred and the saved activity could not be restored.

The shape files for the signal and it's post and ladder must be OK because the train has passed two identical signals to get to here. The barrow crossing must be OK because the players loco has to pass over the identical object whilst assembling the train to leave the station, and so would have failed the test when I tried it without any AI traffic.

Looking at the signal's placement in the RE it is close to the junction of three other terrain tiles, but I doubt it.

Please see here http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?t=64983 for an illustrated version of this question.

I've tried changing the signal, which didn't help.

So I'm a bit stuck for an answer now. Can anyone here help at all please?

Many thanks,

Gary.

http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-di...ty=9,cls=2040&

Default RE: Failed to restore saved activity - TWIF!!!!!

A failure to load saved activity usually means that something has changed with the activity, (paths, services, consists, locos, wagons, etc). What changes have you made to the route or rolling stock since you last ran the activity?
    Moving America one virtual train at a time.

No changes at all. I can save the activity when the train is stopped at the platform and restore it, but if I save the activity after the train has passed the signal, it fails.

Just a wild guess, but it sounds a bit as if something in the sigcfg.dat or sigscr.dat would confuse MSTS. Or is there, by chance, a wye or loop in the vicinity, so that MSTS has problems detecting the proper signal state?

Reason why I say so: Each signal has a so-called sleeping or waiting state, which is defined in the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat. During your activity, the signal aspects are calculated and do change along with the progress of the AI train. However, upon reloading the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat, all the signals are first loaded in their "sleeping" aspect, and then need to be re-calculated by the sim. Track layouts like wyes or loops can confuse MSTS' signal scripts as the sim cannot properly establish what the relative position of a train to the signal is when in a loop / wye. Similarily, an script error in the sigscr.dat or sigcfg.dat might also cause similar problems upon reloading.

Just a guess, but I've had similar problems once when using the ESRNMarmita.s switch lamps from the Spanish site to customise a route. Their signal logic would lock up the sim upon loading already when placed in wyes. Once I had identified them as source of my problems, I could cure the problem by "converting" them to use the signal script logic of Hank Sundermeyers Ramapo switchstands instead, which seems to be error-free.

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

Hi Lukas.

It looks as if you're on the right track there. I changed the SignalNumClearAhead value from 2 to 3 in the sigcfg file. I can now save and restore after passing the signal at the end of the platform, but the problem has now moved up the line to the next signal, which is the last on the route. I'll have to do some experimenting with signals placed where the line terminates to see if I can cure it that way.

Gary.