Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation of x-tracks help needed!

Default installation of x-tracks help needed!

Hello everyone! iam new in route building, i have downloaded x-tracks 3.18 for user's and for route builders, i want to make a smaal route so i installed x-tracks 3.18 for normal users, but when i try track sections in route editor , it gives me lots of error of track not found. i don't know where to put the x-tracks for route builder pack, kindly guide me to use x-track for route builders.

thanks

vinu

Default RE: installation of x-tracks help needed!

The Xtracksf.zip file is the shapes. It is aimed at everyone who either is building a route, or trying to run a route that someone else built.
    It has a folder named Global (where have I seen that before?) and has a Tsection.dat file and another folder, labeled Shapes. Both of these go into the Global directory, in the main Train Simulator folder. The Tsection file will overwrite the one already there (it will ask you about this) and the Shapes folder will overwrite the Shapes folder that is already there (again it will ask you about this).

The Xtracksr.zip file is for route builders. It has a bunch of textures for different track pieces that Microsoft didn't have. You just have to decide which pieces you'll need from the folders there. A normal route will need the A gauge folder, then the same for the Dual Tracks and the Narrow gauges. These textures go into the texture folder of the Route, not the Global textures. You can actually dump all the textures into your Route Textures folder, and later, you can run the Route Riter function to remove the unused files.

James

Hello, james

i have installed x-tracks as you guided, Xtracksf.zip in global folder and Xtracksr.zip in my new route folder and copied all texture files into my routes texture folder, but when i use route editor and try to select track sections form object selector it start giving errors

"no extended shape data for A1tEndPnt500r4_5dlft.s" & "failed to open shape file Golbal\Shapes\A1tEndPnt500r4_5dlft.s"
    "shape failed to load. A1tEndPnt500r4_5dlft.s"

there are lots of such errors, so i see only several track sections are available, so what will be the problem? do i need more something to download? regarding shapes and structure? kindly guide this is the point where i am struck from last several days.

thanks

vinu

Vinu,

When you've installed Xtracks, you have installed the latest version of the Standardized Global Tsection.dat in the \Global folder. This dat file also lists ALL other add-in track and road sets, such as UK FineScale, ScaleRail, Mtracks, Stracks, et cetera.

Well, you don't have all of these track sets installed, so when you try to select a track piece from one, you get the error. Sometime when you have a free moment, open this Global Tsection.dat with WordPad and read the first few pages. You will see all of the many contributors listed there, as well as Xtracks.

Here's your work-around:
    Start up RouteRiter and select the "MSTS File Utils" tab. Click on "Make tsection.dat". This will make a new Tsection.dat that will reference only the shapes you actually have installed in the \Global\Shapes folder. Your original Tsection.dat will be backed up in the \Global folder for you.

If later you install some more track sets or Newroads, you can do this again.

regards,
    charlie

Hello, Charlie

Thanks for the guidence as, per your guidence i sovled the error's of track ,now i can see only the track which is there. and which can be used, I had read somewhere in forum, i don't remember but is it true that first i have to lay tracks? then only i should go and adding rest of things like making hill, or river ? and so on.

regards

vinu

Vinu,

Here are some guidelines from Vince, who is even more conservative than I am. :)
    [Link Expired]

If you do it this way, you are likely to stay out of trouble...

regards,
    charlie

Hello charlie,

well, as i started laying tracks, but still i have one question which is very confusing for me, because may be i don;t know tha's why. When we are building routes is it sufficient to install only x-tracks, is all track pieces are available with it? like curves, crossovers etc.. or i have to install additional tracks? what should be good for first time route builders? as far as i understood tracks are the most important, which can cause lots of errors! kindly guide me which tracks i should go until i get accustomed to route building

regards

vinu

Vinu,

I think that you should stay right where you are for a while. There are plenty of track pieces available to do most things.

You might spend some time exploring this page: http://www.xtracks.tk/

In the links on the left, "Track charts" wll give you a list of all original and XTracks sections for standard tracks. "Track laying" will show how to use some of the XTracks sections.

In the file library here, there is an Xtracks reference route, "xroute.zip". It will give more examples...

regards,
    charlie

Hi Vinu,
    Basically there are two types of tracks for newbies. X-tracks and SR tracks. X-tracks has almost all the pieces you will need and some more but I personally am not happy with its concrete texture. Also X-tracks is very easy to learn with its help html file-tracklaying section.
    SR tracks is a beauty but it has lesser pieces and probably will need more experience for making do with these fewer sections.
    If you search this forum deep enough you will get all the answers for your problems you will encounter. Just have patience to search.
    I would like to add that nowadays Google Earth is a handsome tool for tracklaying. You can view your proposed route as it stands today, have exact markers ploteed on your tiles BEFORE laying track.
    BEST OF LUCK, we need new route and route-makers desperately.
    Nitin
    Railfan, India.
    http://www.ir-msts.in/

Good evening

charlie & nitin

as i read the suggestion regarding x-tracks, thanks a lot, i have finished my tracks laying as you guided ,as this was my first route so, i used simple tracks to complete this 100 mts straight tracks, 45 degree yard tracks, so now iam begining with objects.

regards

vinu