Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which one to buy???

Default which one to buy???

I think this is more of a route question...

I can't make up my mind on a set of different routes. I have $50 to spend and want to buy a pay-ware route but have no idea what to buy. I've settled on 4 routes, but don't know which one to pick.

1: BNSF Senic Sub by Streamlines
    2: ATSF Seligman Sub by Streamlines
    3: CPR Shuswap sub by Maple Leafe Tracks
    4: D&H Bridgeline by MLT

now I can see alot of positives and negatives for each of the above routes. So another detail someone might be able to help me on with picking a route, is what I'm looking for. I like to do heavy haul trains (i.e.: lugging heavy trains for long distances) and doing local work (i.e.: doing switching chores and working industries) so which one would fit this? One thing I've really been looking at about the streamlines routes, is that they also have alot of add-on locomotivews that fit the route, railroad wise. So again, paste your thoughts. I want to know what routes you guys like the most, and which route(s) above fit my preferances. thanks alot.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

Default RE: which one to buy???

D&H Bridgeline by MLT,runs perfect,not even a patch to download with it and plenty of switching as well.
    http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/BM.htm
    That is a great addition as well.

From my experience with these four routes, the first two are primarily good for heavy hauling over long distances and the other two are primarily good for local work. Although any of them can be used for either kind of activity. Do your research and make your choice.

CB

Streamlines gives you half a subdivision hoping you will buy the second half when it is completed. Bob Wirth's Seligman Sub covers the entire subdivison and it is free and better! Maple Leaf Tracks makes some great routes that are full length and half the price and includes great engines and rolling stock--in addition, there are a lot of free reskins of MLT engines and cars which adds a lot of nice things for the price.
    I really think the Cascades Crossing is great and ties in with two routes from 3DTRAINSTUFF who put out Cajon Pass and Tehachapi Pass routes--both very spectacular and with a lot of engines and rolling stock.

Bob Edwards

Hello Tom,
    Every route has pro's and con's. The first three on your list are newer routes so they have the latest in textures, sound, etc... The D&H is the oldest of the payware route on your list, (going by release date) but don't dismiss this route, simply because it came out before the other three. My favorite mostly because I like the D&H is the Bridge line. It comes with custom engines, cabviews and rolling stock for both the D&H and the B&M. But the other three routes also offer engines and rolling stock that goes with each route. The Bridge Line has mainline running with local switching and branch line operations. The other three routes also offer mainline running and switching. One other thing you might want to consider is price. Items #3 and #4 on your list combined are only a few dollars more than your total amount you want to spend. The decision is ultimately yours, which railroad do you like the best? BNSF, Santa Fe, Canadian Pacific or Delaware & Hudson, honestly you can't go wrong with any of the above routes.

Take care,
    Rich S.

I really can't comment fairly, as I don't own any of those routes. I had heard SLI Seligman was pretty much the tops in modern route-building, but Bob Edwards didn't seem real impressed with it, so like I said, I can't comment.

>Maple Leaf Tracks makes some great routes that are full length
    >and half the price and includes great engines and rolling
    >stock--in addition, there are a lot of free reskins of MLT
    >engines and cars which adds a lot of nice things for the
    >price.

In addition, a lot of MLT engines are used in other activities, so if you have their routes you have less swapping to do. This would be particularly true of Cascades Crossing with a lot of it's rolling stock being used in activities for Patrick Wise's Cajon Pass.

I don't know if you already have Cascades or not.

If you want to know about rolling stock with each MLT route:
    http://www.mltdownloads.com/home/ind...ic,2425.0.html

yeah, I see your point on price. But that's the thing though with railroad, one reason I was really looking at the bridge line is that I live literally 100 yards from the B&M White Mountain Division, and have several models on my layout of B$M engines. But I was leaning to both of those MLT products because they are based in and around the 70's which I found as an interesting period in railroad history. yes railroads were suffering, abandonment's were common, but you could see plenty of first generation EMD's, GE's, ALCO's, and newer second generation EMD's and GE's, all in the same consist. But I was also leaning to the two SLI products because I'm also interested in modern railroading. Growing up in the 90's, that's what I saw all the time, modern EMD's and GE's (With the exception of when we ACTUALLY saw GRS power up here, which is all second generation EMD, and when New England Southern trundled through here with the variety of power, being all First generation EMD, but no replaced by one single GP39-2) but anyway's, I'm backing off of the Seligman sub a bit though, because it seems more of only main-line work, through the desert. I personally like scenery with green.:+ But here's another thing, no matter which route I get now, I know I'll be happy with it, and that I can buy the other ones later on down the road. so this is the end of my rant. thanks everybody for your help.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>

RedDeath Guest

Well, consitering there is a new train sim comming out (but who knows when that will be) you need to think if you should jsut save your money for that instead :P

Buy them all Tom, all four are gotta haves. :-)

well thanks for listening to me rant on about this guys, and thanks for your help. I've made my decision (actually my parents did when they bought me the route for my birthday...) and went with the Shuswap Sub. I'm loving this route... heh heh heh. I've been having alot of fun with the GP35s that came with the route. and until I can make my own set, they have a great sounding turbocharged 567 in them. the same sounds are also in the SD40s, but these sound more like 567s to me. Also reading above about the upcoming new MSTS, are existing route gonna work on this new platform?

>Buy them all Tom, all four are gotta haves. :-)

I wish I had the money to buy all four... heck I just wish I had that amount of money...
    Thom