Thread: Removing low-poly car strings

Default Removing low-poly car strings

Is there a way to remove low-poly static car strings that have been placed on sidings without going into the RE and zapping them one-by-one? I want to use some yard tracks on a particular freeware territory for switching purposes, but I have to get rid of the static strings first. I thought of deleting the .s, .sd and .ref files from the route folder, but I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it.

Uncle E

Default RE: Removing low-poly car strings

Are you sure those yard tracks aren't static objects as well as
    the cars on them? They might only look like tracks.

Lloyd

Hi Eric (Uncle E)

You should be able to use Route Riter to do the task. Just removing the .s and .sd files won't do the job because it will produce an error when the sim tries to load it. Route Riter will remove the references from the world files.

As Lloyd stated you might want to make sure the tracks are usable and not just scenery items before doing so.

Regards,

(another) Eric

Hi Lloyd,

I'm pretty sure those tracks are legit. The route is Conrail Indy 2.0, and the strings are placed on sidings that were present in the previous route.

Uncle E

Hi (another) Eric,

Thanks for the tip. I just upgraded to the high-horsepower version of Route Riter last night, so that'll give me something to do this evening while I'm waiting for Mike to make the new Bin coupler values available.

Uncle E

When you remove the static cars, none of your activities that make use of those tracks can be used by anyone else sense you would be running trains into static objects or setting consists on top of them. If you want to upload activities you need to mark the tracks that you have removed the static cars so that you do not use those tracks when uploading activities.

Bob Edwards

Hi Bob,

You know, I thought about that while brainstorming the activities I wanted to tinker with. At first I wasn't going to bother since I was only planning activites for my own amusement. But now I'm not so sure about that; CR Indy seems to be begging for an Activity Generator template. Maybe I ought to "take a tour" and map out which tracks have strings before I do anything else.

Uncle E