Thread: Guidence needed regarding Frame per second (fps)

Default Guidence needed regarding Frame per second (fps)

Good Morning, Everbody,

After placing trees along my tracks my routes FPS drastically decreased,when iam seeing from right side camera view the fps increase to 50, and when from top straight view the fps decrease, inside the cabin view also its decrease to 12-10, and some time its goes to 5, even i don't have lots of objects in my routes each tile have less than 300 objects. what will be the problem, iam not able to sort out kindly guide me.

regards

vinu

Default RE: Guidence needed regarding Frame per second (fps)

Hi Vinu,

I noticed that some vegetation available for download does hit the fps badly in two ways:

First, some freeware vegetation comes with fairly large 512x512 pixel sized textures. On routes where lots of vegetation calls for ace files with such a detailed resolution (recommended for locomotives only in the original MSTS docs), that will result in quite a tax on the graphics card. The cure is to resample the textures to the more common 256x256 sized format which requires 1/4 of the memory of the large textures.

Second, to make things worse, some of these large textures also use an 8-bit alpha channel instead of an 1-bit transparency channel. As there is usually no need for see-through, transparent trees in a route, you can also decide to re-export any of the .ace files going through the resampling process above as "Ace (-trans)" instead of "Ace(-alpha)".

Apart from bringing the fps back to where they belong, the two steps above also have the nice side effect that the "sprinkle-effect" of the trees in question is reduced noteably once the mask is changed to a simpler 1-bit transparency which KuJu had in mind for trees...

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

Good Morning, Everybody,

Thanks lukas, for the guidence.i have removed some high textured objects so, fps has increased, to 20-25, does animation also effect the fps, i have placed 5-6 animated objects also. i think i should deactivate the animations also.

regards,

vinu

Hi Vinu,

in my experience, fps is by 90% or so affected by a thing such simple as the resolution (size in pixels) of the .ace files. Animations and complexity of a shape have relatively little impact on the fps.

Actually, if you place a simple object like a house that uses 4 or 5 512x512 or even worse 1024x1024 textures, that will bring your fps down to 5 or 6 fps. A few years ago, there was a fairly simple railroad station building in the file library called, if I remember correctly, Mt. Union Depot or Mt. Union Station (?). It did however use 8 (eight!) 1024x1024 textures. And to make things worse, these textures were quite blurry, so there was absolutely no gain in detail from making these textures this big. My fps dropped to 6 on the tile this building was on. I pulled many a hair until I realised what the problem was. I shrunk the textures to 128x128 (they remained blurry, so what the heck) and fps was back at 38!

On the other hand, if you place a complex structure such as a large factory complex with lots of machinery, all of which is mapped from 4 or 5 simple, 256x256 sized textures, then your fps will remain practically unchanged.

So bottom line: It is not the number of polygones that cause drops in MSTS fps. What counts is what size the .ace file has that maps each of these polygones...

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

Good Evening, Everyboday,

Thanks, Lukas, for the guidence now i understood how to control fps.

have a nice day,

regards,

vinu