Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Ogdon & Northern directions needed

Default Port Ogdon & Northern directions needed

Hi,

My MSTS setup just in case it matters:

1) Full install, including all routes from original CDs
    2) Microsoft v1.2 (or is it v1.4) patch
    3) Microsoft Train Simulator Add-ons (class50 & sd40-2)
    4) Train Sim Interface Menu Quick Fix
    5) MSTSPatch v1.7.022420

I think that's about all I have installed (with the exception of add-on routes).

First and foremost I would like to thank the folks that have taken so much time to increase the playability of MSTS, as they have added a great deal of enjoyment from the original MSTS for me.

Onto the question.

I have "Port Ogdon & Northern" v10 (including the patch) installed and I have been trying to get to "Davis Ridge" leaving "Anderson" going west (counter-clockwise) using the explore route option.

I make it all the way to "Port Ogden". Once I arrive in "Port Ogden" I switch track and go into "Johansburg". It is at this point I see the sign that says, "South Pass".

No matter where I start pressing "G" on the keyboard as I approach the switch it will not switch the track in the "South Pass" direction.

Okay, so I'll try a different tactic.

After leaving "Anderson" going west, I switch the track at "Texas Tea" and make my way south towards "Johansburg". Arriving I throw the switch and I can now take the "South Pass".

I now have two choices.

One; make a left at "Fiddletown", head towards "Combs Landing", make a right onto the "North Pass" and then a left towards "Newcastle".

Two; go past "Fiddletown" towards "Tinkers Dam", make a left towards the "North Pass" and make a right towards "Newcastle".

However, neither of these work.

Leaving "Combs Landing" the switch won't throw and I can't get to the "North Pass", instead I head back down towards "Port Ogden".

Or, once I make it onto the "North Pass" from "Tinkers Dam" the switch won't throw and I end up heading all the way back down the "North Pass" back to "Port Ogden".

I've tried to search the forum for others who might find themselves in this same situation, but I had no luck.

Question: Is it possible to get to "Davis Ridge" leaving west from Anderson?

Finally, there appears to be a discrepancy between the map and the layout.

After you arrive at "Port Ogden", heading towards "Hawthorne", shortly outside of the city the track splits and one sign says "Port Ogden" and I believe the other sign says "Hawthorne".

However, you shortly discover that the two tracks merge right back together. The map shows this split with the left-hand track eventually arriving in "Port Ogden".

Actually, there appears to be no way to actually go to "Port Ogden" other then to pass above it, on the bridge.

Question: Anyone else see the "Port Ogden" discrepancy?

Thanks for read.

Default RE: Port Ogdon & Northern directions needed

I haven't tried to duplicate what you are doing, but since no one else has answered yet, I'll make a stab.

Sniper has always built the PO&N with a sort of parallel route of tracks reserved for AI traffic only. I think you are trying to throw switches onto those "forbidden" portions of the route.

PaulS

If you run the PO&N in pure 'Explore Mode', that is, not running from any of the activities, you will be able to throw any switch on the line.
    If however, you start one of the activities, you are restricted as to what switches can be thrown.
    The answer to your problem is contained within the documentation that came with the route.
    A hint from the docs; "...the PO&N is actually two seperate routes that share certain stretches of track...."

In an activity you cannot switch into the AI parts of the route.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

>I haven't tried to duplicate what you are doing, but since no
    >one else has answered yet, I'll make a stab.

I was beginning to think I posted this question in the right forum, but really in the wrong forum if I was ever going to get an reply. :)

>Sniper has always built the PO&N with a sort of parallel route
    >of tracks reserved for AI traffic only. I think you are trying
    >to throw switches onto those "forbidden" portions of the
    >route.

I'm in "Explore" mode, so that issue should not arise. Additionally, I've made no loops, so these particular switches shouldn't be locked. If I knew more about route building I might come up with a different conclusion, but since I don't, to me, this is beginning to look like a bug, a rather big bug, since there is no way to go "East" from the route section menu.

>If you run the PO&N in pure 'Explore Mode', that is, not
    >running from any of the activities, you will be able to throw
    >any switch on the line.

And that is indeed the mode I'm in when attempting to make it from "Anderson" to "Davis Ridge", going West.

>If however, you start one of the activities, you are
    >restricted as to what switches can be thrown.

Yep. However, the directions I mentioned in the head article above are based on NOT using the AI track or switches.

>The answer to your problem is contained within the
    >documentation that came with the route.
    >A hint from the docs; "...the PO&N is actually two seperate
    >routes that share certain stretches of track...."

I'm not knocking any ones spelling, but doing a word search for the word "seperate" in the \Portogden10 directory and lower yielded only one hit and that was in the "Front_Coupler.txt" file. The word is not part of the text you mentioned above. Next, doing a word search for "separate" yielded no results. This is also true for the accompanying files in the root of the original archive. So it looks like I will need a better hint. :)

>In an activity you cannot switch into the AI parts of the
    >route.

Since none of the switches I'm throwing are part of the AI route, I suppose I could try to run an activity in that direction and see if the route will allow those same switches to be thrown. Although, if Explore mode doesn't work, neither should Activity mode.

I was paraphrasing, so here is an exact quote;
    "....The PO&N is actually two different routes, the main portion of the route has all manual switches, and a number of different branch lines and alternate routes to get from one place to another. ...."
    So yeah, I used where I should had said 'different'.

Anyhow to get back to your problem, I had never run in pure explore mode as you had so I had a go at it.
    Sure enough, at the location you specified the switch CANNOT be thrown in pure explore mode but it CAN be thrown when running in the Anderson 0800 activity so I stand corrected.

This is just another in a long list of MSTS mysteries. All installed switches on a route either manual or automatic should be throwable in pure explore mode and this is clearly not the case here.

I ran the sceanario as you described this morning and when I got to the switch, divirge to North Pass/Tinkers Dam I was not able to throw the switch.
    Running the Anderson 0800 activity to the same location I was able to throw the switch for the divirging route. Go figure!

I don't have a clue as to why this is so however it bothers me not at all as I never run the PO&N in pure explore mode and miss all the increditable AI traffic that Sniper worked so hard to get just right.

Sorry if I caused you any confusion.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

This is a followup;
    In the RE I went to the location and looked at the switch properties.

It is a default 10 degree right manual switch...
    Like I said, another mystery. You might try chasing it down if you like lots of re-installing and that sort of thing but for me, I'll just ignore it. Good luck and do make backups if you decide on the rocky road.

Thank you for doing all that, it is very much appreciated. I can confirm that I too am getting the same results as you observed. I have traveled to all points raised in my original post and can throw the switches in Activity mode.

However, I'm not so sure that it can be classified as just a mystery of MSTS. The way I look at it, this is the only route that I have found that doesn't allow unrestricted explorer mode travel. So, it could still be a bug in the route, although I'm not totally dismissing a MSTS bug, either.

Do you think I should contact the author of the route and point the author's attention to this thread?

Lots of luck trying to contact Sniper these days! Wait till the next time he shows up again (and he will, I think).

Be that as it may, I do not think there is any "bug" involved. Although I do not know how he accomplished it, Jim went to great pains to keep people off the AI portions of the route, and seemed surprised in some posts that people had managed to accidentally get on it, even in explore mode.

I am sure if you wanted to find out the details, I guess you could search through all the posts ever made on the PO&N. But unfortunately, many if not all posts before the Great Forum Crash of 2002 or early 2003 have now been lost and are unavailable.

PaulS

Hi All,

Jim did all those things on purpose. You can throw all switches in the activity mode so you can choose what direction you can take at any given point. Even at the expense of crashing into an AI train.
    This what makes the route exciting.

Paul you are right, there is no bug, it was designed that way.
    Mike
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ke1/PELogo.gif
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17.../sylvester.gif
    This smile says it all