Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitefish 8

Default Whitefish 8

Is each Whitefish Route a seperate route or do I need to download each one? I just installed 8, does that cover all previously?

Error Message when starting Whitfish 8:

Trains\Trainset\US2FREIGHTCEMENT\us2freightcement. wag
    Trains\Trainset\SD402\SD402.eng.

Would appreciate assistance in eliminating errors and advice on the downloading of the routes. Many Thanks in advance.

Default RE: Whitefish 8

The one most important thing that I saw that bothered me was the placement of signals at switches and siding that in my opinion didn't need them. The signals seemed to be out of place. Is this prototypical of the route?

USRailFan Guest

Probably not. Stick with Whitefish 6, it has reasonably prototypical signal placement I think (except for the UP part of the route, which in real-life is unsignalled). Whitefish 7 has some serious signalling bugs which makes it almost impossible to create activities with lots of AI traffic. From your description it looks like there is a grave danger of Whitefish 8 having the same problem :-(

Methinks René Rump should solicitate someone who is familiar with the real route before creating Whitefish 9.

USRailFan Guest

>Trains\Trainset\US2FREIGHTCEMENT\us2freightcement .wag
    >Trains\Trainset\SD402\SD402.eng.

Download the MSTS v1.2 SD40-2 add-on (linkage in one of the sticky threads in the General MSTS forum).

It's also a memory hog. I got a couple of errors until I unloaded all the routes EXCEPT it in TrainStore. It Had 0 Errors in RouteRiter. I would also store most of the activities except 1 or 2 that you want to run. Even then it loads Slow, but the result is worth the wait.
    John

Default Whitefish 8 bugs ?

WF 7 had (?) signal errors ? WF8 should be almost the same as WF7 in these areas, nothing significant having been altered since.
    Well possible, too, that there are many more inaccuracies/errors..

If somebody tells us EXACTLY IN DETAIL which signals or sidings give severe probs, which areas/sceneries look 'sabotaged', we would consider appropriate corrections in WF9, with great pleasure.

Having said that, it was NOT our intention to build a playground for extravagant AI traffic, nor LONG activities (would be defect at 90% probability, given limited MSTS features). Rene's aim and excitement is offering a PLEASANT route, pleasant to build, pleasant to drive, pleasant to edit, not a technical monument, nor a prototype.

I created myself 25 'official' acts for WF7 (they are also supplied and valid in WF8), and I believe they work reasonably well.

FYI: WF9 is now planned to cover Whitefish-Columbia Falls-Kalispell-Somers.
    Then feature the very first historical, now long dismantled Great Northern tracks from Kalispell to Marion, Salish Mountains-Haskell Pass, Tamarack, (Fisher River-Jennings-Troy-Libby).
    Consequent documentation has already been gathered.

NB: those who look for the SD402 and cosupplied railcars will also find them on the-train.de (Download area, MSTS Updates).
    Pierre wishes you Love + Peace !
    Please visit also www.the-train.de

Default RE: Whitefish 8 bugs ?

On WF7 you have a signal half way down Vista siding.I need to check but don't think that might be accurate and also when you do WF9 a suggestion might be to use Hanks replacement signals with hoods instead of the default ones.
    WF9 should also go into Cranbrook in BC hint hint.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks

http://www.notch-8.com/
    http://www.railroadradio.net
    http://www.RFCHosting.com/

Default RE: Whitefish 8 bugs ?

I agree. Those default signals are way out of date for all the modern stuff that's available.

I, too, have just "installed" Whitefish 8. I'm getting a large number of errors related to missing ACE and SD files. Is this typical, am I having a Vista-generated installer glitch, or am I missing something like Kosmos?

A few instances of the missing:

starsky, skyglow, sun ACE files from the envfiles/textures folder
    terrain.ace and microtex.ace from the terrtex folder

ingame.sms

JP2AutoBush1.sd and JP2Autobush3.sd

US2HalfPRock-Forest.ace

US2BSignal3.sd

Some of this I can copy from other routes, but it looks to be a time-consuming trial-and-error effort.

Looking forward to seeing it run.

LW

Try running the install.bat again. I've had occasssions where all things weren't copied over from the 6 original routes. Rerunning the install.bat did the trick. Also run the route through route_riter if you have that on your computer. It'll fix alot of those missing file errors for you.