Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a mess with .W tiles for Niagara

Default Made a mess with .W tiles for Niagara

In making the Niagara Corridor as close to prototypical as possible, I've encountered strangeness on certain .W tiles and can't resolve them? MSTS and NC run fine in use and Activity Editor for the most part. The problem are these original overhead outlines of roads that have returned, and crashes should I adjust or alter the area where my new laid roads venture off. I also did a signal adjustment around Aldershot, and ever since then I can't access the .W tile in RE anymore? Again MSTS runs fine throughout Aldershot to London (and vice versa) when I run an activity, so I don't understand where the problem lays?

I'm pretty much a novice still with Route Riter and much of the MS programming. But am hoping there's a easy way to eradicate these little irks without losing all the tile work I've done.

Thanks in advance. :)

Default RE: Made a mess with .W tiles for Niagara

If you are mixing the installation of track, roads and signals I do hope you have good backups because you're going to need them.

Any 'adjustments' of roads or track after interactives have been installed will corrupt the route database files.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Yes, I think I made a mess of the back up's as well. So it's just my mod's and then the original MLT CD-ROM with NC on it is all I have.

Is there something in Route Riter or maybe another program that can fix the database? I run a Check Route in RR, and it just says 'OK'. But all the other things like convert and compress codes on some of the RR options I know nothing of, and don't fool with. Would any of these options maybe able to help?

Thanks Vince. :)

Thats unfortunate.
    A TDB rebuild on a route that has signals will break the signal links. This will require a re-link every linkable signal on the route.
    It also causes other unspecified damage. I say unspecified because trouble can (and usually will) show up in lots of different ways, like missing or missplaced siding markers, missing or missplaced platforms and on and on.

Route Riter may help. I am not familiar enough to provide you with a possible way that may help and I defer to others in the community.

This is why orderly backups are a must, especially when working with the RE.
    I backup once a day.
    You should consider more often if you are inexperienced.
    I zip the entire route then burn it to a DVD which can hold 8-10 backups.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I see Vince. And is a shame MS had to make RE so UN-user friendly. I enjoy it for the most part of scenery placement. But then these silly little slip ups and anomalies happen, and just takes the fun out of everything. Hopefully this new Train Sim thingy in development will make life a bit easier for us all. ;)

Well, hopefully RR or something will come by to help me as well. :)

> And is a shame MS had to make RE so UN-user friendly.

That's Kuju's work, not MS.

[b]Dave Nelson
    SLW Route Design: The Cal-P, 1950.[b]
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51...cing_Genma.gif
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51...s/4ad3d633.jpg

Ahh, thanks for the correction Dave.

My bad. :(

Thats really interesting. I'm doing the same thing (rebuilding the Niagara Corridor) using textures and shapes from Cascades Crossing (MLT) and Scenic Sub (SLI)and obviously can not be released, but for my own personal desire as I was very dissapointed in the Niagara Corridor (expecting much better or equivalent quality to the Cascade Crossing route released prior to Niagara Corridor). I would like to know the outcome of your endevor! Good luck!

And, is there an easier way of deleting all interavtive objects rather than one by one in the RE?

Thanks,

So it's not just me then. ;) I was really impressed when I first got NC, and I think I quickly dived into one of the CN night runs (first activity?) Seeing all these shadows and building sides at night and lights off in the distance - couldn't wait to see it all in 'daytime'... Boys, was I wrong! :( My hats off to MLT et al for quickly making the route in the form that it's in - but quickly brings back memories of Marias Pass and Northeast Corridor.

But using Google Earth, You Tube videos et al, and some of the fine structure makers here - I find I'm really getting a true recreation without really knowing the route that well. :)

As to adding and deleting objects quickly and easily, I'd recommend Route Riter firstly. If you're like me, and hate the 'h bush' everywhere - I think if you delete the .S and .SD from Shapes, and the Ref File entry for it, they easily vanish. Michael Sinclair apparently made some great tutorials on converting existing vegetation to other choices in a few easy steps.

But for me, call me 'old fashioned' - but I'm plunking and deleting as I go. Currently revamped and cleaned up all terrain and towns from Aldershot to Paris. A very nice ride, if I do say so myself. ;)
    I hope to someday soon do one of these 'Frap' videos and put it up on You Tube for all to enjoy.

Hopefully you may do the same, and we can compare. ;)

I would enjoy comparing with you some day! I have managed to delete all the interactive objects on the route and am now in the process of extending the route from Aldershot to Burlington Jct for operational excitement and resizing the yards to thier standard prototypical size. After that I will be relaying and adding the tracks at Bayview Jct and Snake to what the line looks like now (2007) as well as completing CTC all the way to London with new signals. Then, I will be updating some of the textures and shapes from the Cascades Crossing route (Maple Leaf Tracks) and updating/modifying the default activities to be more realistic and prototypical (consist and length, train times etc).