Thread: Goderich & Exeter - Problems and Peculiarities

Default Goderich & Exeter - Problems and Peculiarities

I really enjoy Ken Shannons GEXR route, but have encountered some problems with it I'm not sure how to cure. Namely the required GEXR download engines are giving me a error message 'Too Many .SMS!' They load and run fine, but the cab interior is silent of engine/cab noise? All activities also report a missing 'ModernTrack0in.sms' and 'ModernTrack0ex.sms'? I have the MLT Niagara Corridor and all other required stock needed, but not sure where these .sms are located and where they should be copied to? Also, the majority of VIA activities are running fine - but none of the crossing bells are heard in the cab? I e-mailed Ken personally with these problems et al, but not sure if he can help with the engine and sound problems I'm having?

Other than that, I've got the route looking and running fine for myself. And hope to contribute to it in scenery placement for Ken in future. :)

Default RE: Goderich & Exeter - Problems and Peculiarities

Hi Noisemaker. The modern track sounds are in the file library. It is modtrkv2.zip. Also there is an upgrade in the MLT downloads .They are in the toy box section under freeware routes named GEXR upgrade.Hope this helps as it fill in a lot of empty space and other fixes too. I have the route running and looks pretty good except that after I leave the starting points for a couple of miles the acts will freeze and have to shut down the computer to get out of it. I have spent many hours trying to figure out what is causing it to freeze. Everything comes up clean in route riter and conbuilder so I thought maybe you might have a clue what is wrong. Thanks for any help. Greg

Thanks for the tips Greg. :) As to your activities problem, that it is very odd? I've only been able to run the VIA activities, and had a spin on the 'concert train' so far - but those work fine. I've also modified all VIA activities to be more true to the actual current VIA schedule and with better starting and full length runs.
    I e-mailed Ken if he'd like to check these out as well and/or include them with the route, but he hasn't responded to me thus far.

Maybe once I get these GEXR engines fixed up and .sms installed it may give me better insight into the problems you're experiencing too?
    Do you have Marias Pass and NC and all installed? I know the route relies heavily on those for scenery and rolling stock. As well, I pointed out to Ken there's a terrain problem around St. Mary's that shows up as a 'white void'. But is fixable with Route Riter's 'Improve Snow' option. Hope that may help you somewhat?

Thanks again. :D

The error message "Too many sms" means that the sms file has more Streams than it expects.

ScalabiltyGroup( 5
    Activation ( ExternalCam () Distance (1000) )
    Deactivation ( CabCam () PassengerCam () Distance (1000) )
    Streams ( 10
    Stream (

In the above the ScalabiltyGroup is calling for 10 streams. Open the cab/eng.sms file and count the number of Streams in each ScalabilityGroup and edit the total streams to match.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

Thanks so much John, I'll give that a go! I just wound up copying and pasting the default GP38 Sound folder right into GEXR3856, and that seemed to do the trick. But of course, all the .wav files expand the size as well.

Greg - I downloaded and tried Alcoted's GEXR upgrade from MLT, and got a horrendous 'Train Initialisation Failed' message on all the activities after install. Thankfully I backed my God Ex folder to an external HD, so I just pasted that back over, and all seemed to work fine after? Can't say I like Ted's choice of trees, although they are supposed to improve realism/performance. And even though Ted's tree's and splash screen remained after I pasted my back up over into Routes, the interior crossing bell still isn't working in GP's or VIA F40's? Hope that can give you some insight and inspiration. ;)

Thanks again gents. :D

>Greg - I downloaded and tried Alcoted's GEXR upgrade from MLT,
    >and got a horrendous 'Train Initialisation Failed' message on
    >all the activities after install. Thankfully I backed my God
    >Ex folder to an external HD, so I just pasted that back over,
    >and all seemed to work fine after?

The 'Train Initialization Failed' message is usually an indicator that the environments in the route's ENVFILES folder are not the same as specified in the route's '.trk' file.

The GEXR upgrade does contain a new 'GEXR.trk' file which adds details to the route description & background info when in the details screen. However that file contains the default MSTS environments, just like the original route's. However if you've switched out environments on your copy of the GEXR with KOSMOS, then add this upgrade with then new .trk file, the sim will bomb with the 'Train Initialization Failed' message.

Solution is to install the upgrade, then re-run KOSMOS to reset the environments to your liking. This will reset them in the new GEXR.trk file and the problem should go away.