Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Meteor Crater Upgrade

Default Problem with Meteor Crater Upgrade

I have been running the freeware Seligman Sub without trouble, until I upgraded with the Bob Wirth's Meteor Crater upgrade. MSTS will not initialize on any ATSFSS activity. Anyone else having this trouble ?

Charlie

Default RE: Problem with Meteor Crater Upgrade

Hi Charlie:

Finally got around to installing the MC extension. Installed ok, all acts run with no problems. Try using Route Control to see if any problems with acts, services, etc. ( rc-lite.zip )

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

Hi John,

I reinstalled a saved off copy of the route to get back where I was, ran some of the original acts, went into the RE and AE without eror, then installed into the atsfss route folder everything in the meteor folder expcet for traffic, activities, services, and path folders, and still can't even load it in the RE to look at the crater.

Although I have added a lot of sagebrush of different sizes to the route, Bob doesn't think that would be a cause of the problems. I use route riter, TS and CB, and these give a clean bill of health.

I don't have route control lite, does it check things that R.R. and C.B. can't ?

Charlie

Hi Charlie:

Have you used Route Riter to check the entire route for you?

Only other thing I can think of is, do you have the latest t-section data file? ATSFSS has been around for awhile. POssibly the MC was created with a later version.

Route Control will check activities, services, consists, missing engs/wags. When I have problems I use it first because it is very quick & easy to use.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

Hi John,

Yes, Route Riter says its clean as a whistle. I restored an assembled one from my back up hard drive, so am still decorating the wide open expanses (within a 100 meters of the ROW anyway). The only think I can think of is that the tiles (.w files) I added scenery to were ones also changed with the Meteor upgrade.

Charlie

Hi Charlie:

I was thinking the same thing but I figured the new tiles would overwrite your work. Of the nine world tiles in the MC ext, 7 are not in the original. The below listed tiles are in the original.

012531+014055 100.0 KB ( orig 25.2KB )
    012531+014056 63.6 KB ( orig 66.5 )

If these are the ones you working on, might be the problem.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

The MC was created with the same level of Xtracks and Newroads
    (Build 23) that the original route was created with.

Edit
    The meteor crater was in the original route at
    Lat 35.02723 Lon -111.02219. I added and/or raised the elevation on several tiles to accomodate the turnaround loop.

On second thought it may be the added folage that is causing the problem.

The update replaced the entire TDB RDB TIT and RIT folders but only the handfull of world tiles that were changed.

When the new folage was added it created new uid numbers in the world file which, I believe are linked to the TDB. If this is the case, the new folage uid numbers would be out of sync with the TDB that the update installed.

BTW - this is the only problem reported so far with the MC.

The two world tiles-

012531+014055 100.0 KB ( orig 25.2KB )
    012531+014056 63.6 KB ( orig 66.5 )

- mine are 101 and 64kb respectively; there are no vegetation objects in them either.

If its a missing shape, RR will find it.

I can still go back and inflate the original set of zip files for the route, and most likely get the new baseline established.

Thanks for the help.

Charlie

I think that when you put vegetation on tiles not anywhere near the meteor crater, it established a link (uid number) into the TDB. The meteor update loaded a completely new TDB (with no knowlege of your added vegetation) which in effect destroyed the link to your vegetation tiles. I dont think there are any missing shapes - just screwed up links to the new TDB.
    Just a guess but most other possibilities have been exhausted.

Just one other thing to try:
    On a route with your vegetation and the entire MC update applied:
    Delete the TDB RDB RIT TIT folders and their respective backups if any.
    Delete any BK files in the World folder, if any.
    Do a TDB rebuild to see if it reestablishes the links.

If you miss seeing the meteror crater its not a big deal.
    If you are bound and deternined to see it Save your vegetation route and establish an atsfss route with no vegetation updates. Run the MC update. It should work provided all defaulst equipment/consists are in your trainset file.
    Once you have made a few runs over the crater - scrap all of this and go back to your vegetation version.

Hi Bob,

< when you put vegetation on tiles not anywhere near the meteor crater, it established a link (uid number) into the TDB >

to my knowledge, that should and could not happen, as neither forest regions nor isolated bushes are interactive objects. Therefore they do not get linked into the .tdb and .tit.

What would be more likely is that the user did accidentally select a piece of dynamic track. If the user went on modifying the route and saving the changes then the RE might well assign a new ID for that dynamic track piece in the .tdb and in the local tsection.dat of the route. If the original copy or a modified copy of the local tsection.dat file was installed with the meteor crater update, this would overwrite the user-modified copy of his local tsection.dat file. As a result .tdb / .tit and local tsection.dat would be out-of-synch and therefore lead to an unreadable .tdb, causing the sim to crash upon any attempt to load the route in the sim or the editors!

A similar synchronisation problem could arise if the user did accidentally select an existing switch (track node) in the route and save his work thereafter, which usually also results in the sim assigning a new ID number to the node. With the installation of the meteor update, the .tdb with the modified track ID entry would again be overwritten with a .tdb copy containing the previous track node ID number of the switch in question. However, as the synch problem would only exist between a .w file and the .tdb / .tit files, the issue should to my understanding not become apparent before approching the world tile hosting the node with the faulty track ID number.

Lukas a.k.a Swissie