Thread: Coupler problems on Florida Funnel

Default Coupler problems on Florida Funnel

When I run the "Meet the Funnel" activity in TS, everything goes fine for a little while and about 20 minutes into it, the cars uncouple and the activity ends. I don't go overspeed and I generally stay at 55 even when the speed limit is 55. Do you know what the problem is and what I can do about it?

Default RE: Coupler problems on Florida Funnel

That is a very old problem--search the forum for coupler settings or download latest eng and wag files. Check various forum topics to help you get started with MSTS.

Bob Edwards

I am not familiar with this particular activity. However, the problem may be due to (slight) misalignment of track when the route was created.

When trains reach the misalignment, extra stress (force) is created on the couplers as the locomotives and cars try to negotiate the misalignment. This extra stress may exceed the breaking load of couplers, and you then have uncoupled locomotives and cars.

Since it is not practical to edit the route in question (my understanding is that modifying track after route was created may lead to more errors occuring), the usual quick fix is to modify the coupler strength values within locomotive *.eng and car *.wag files.

Open the *.eng and *.wag files for your train using Wordpad. Look for this statement - Break ( 1.1e7N 1.1e7N ) within the files. This line is usually about 15/16 lines down from the top of the file document. If you see these (1.1e7N) or less values, change them to higher values such as - 1.1e8N, or 11e7N.

So your statement should then look like - Break ( 1.1e8N 1.1e8N ), or Break ( 11e7N 11e7N ). This will increase coupler srength and minimize possibility of further coupler breaks or separations.

You may have to increase the break values even higher if the track misalignment is severe. Trial and error is the only way to check if the new break values work or not!

Good luck!

Thanks, I will try that.

Hi murjax

in addition to what Peter has said: In the earlier days of MSTS, many files were distributed with a wrong unit of measurement in the damping section of the couplers, simply because all default KuJu .eng and .wag files for the USA2 route had this error from the beginning.

If the coupler damping line reads N/m instead of the correct N/m/s then your damping will not work, and frequent coupler breaks will result.

You can fix all erraneous couplers in your trainset folder quite simply by using EngMod or RouteRiter. Please consult the documentation / help files coming with those tools for details and instructions.

If you haven't done so yet, you absolutely should do that fix on your fleet, it really makes quite a difference (and it makes much more sense to fix the actual problem instead of upping the coupler strength to a value beyond reason in order to mask the inoperational damping)!

Lukas a.k.a Swissie