Thread: GN Hi-Line Kalispell Lumber Activity

Default GN Hi-Line Kalispell Lumber Activity

Hi, all. I'm having a problem with this activity (gnactd04.zip). My train keeps de-railing passing thru the first orange switch indicated on the F4 window; left-hand switch exiting the yard. I've updated the engines and cars with Plainsman's V4.7 physics, tried different log cars, different speeds, etc. I'm stumped! Any ideas? Regards, Jon.

Default RE: GN Hi-Line Kalispell Lumber Activity

I had the same problem and never did figure it out. The only thing I could think of is that the turnout resets before the train is clear of it.
    Moving America one virtual train at a time.

Hey, thanx for answering, Ken. I really like this route but I'm no good at making activities so I usually wait until users make activities for a route before I try it. Guess I'll try another activity. Thanks again! Jon

Although I haven't run an activity on Hi-Line route yet, I have come across similar problems (train separation and derailments) on some other routes while passing through switches.
    I think the problem may be due to (slightly) misaligned tracks/rails which causes extra stress/loading on train wheels and couplers as the train tries to negotiate through the misalignment.

I've found that driving trains slowly through problem switches may help minimize stress on train and therefore reduce chances of derailments etc. occurring.
    Another thing that may help, is to increase coupler strength and possibly coupler damping values on all locomotive and cars within your trains *.eng and *.wag files. Doing this will increase ability of trains to handle "rough" track.

I also have this problem. I looked at the bounding box for the parked cabooses just at this switch (GN_X_244 and uswaycar_GN) and found that they are totally misplaced and the size is wrong (ESD_Bounding_Box ( -.95 -0.50 -3.075 3.45 4.70 12.86 ). I have changed them to ( -2.0 -0.50 -6.4 2.0 4.70 6.4 ) and now I can run by these parked cars wizhout any bounce back or derailment, that is of course at a reasonable speed (less than 15mph). As a precaution I also deleted the last car nearest the switch. After partially running the activity, except for one shape loading error (keep answering 'yes' to continue) I have got to a position on the return journey where I am stopped by a red signal without apparently any reason. I will try to investigate this to see if I can complete this rather long activity.

I don't know about that particular problem. But I had one with the Corrizo Gorge route, east of Campo: a piece of track and a switch caused a decoupling of a 2-6-6-2 from its tender.

The tactic I used was just to edit and boost the engine and tender coupler values. Some people may object, but, hey, now and then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    PaulS