Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L&PS corrupted files

Default L&PS corrupted files

Hello all. I tried installing the London and Port Stanley route this afternoon and ran into ALOT of problems. I downloaded the version from hawkdawg's website (www.hawkdawg.com) i went in and started to run the .exe file, and just about every other file came up with an "CRC error" gave me a bunch of numbers and letters of what's there, and said what it should be. Also i can't find the folder where it supposedly extracted to. Is there better luck with the version in the f/l? I've been looking at pics from the route and am highly impressed with it. any help? thanks.

Tom
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

Default RE: L&PS corrupted files

Hello Tom,
    I would try downloading the route from the file library here at train-sim and see if it's the same file size as the one you downloaded from Hawks site. If you get the one from the file library to install, you may want to shoot Hawk an email explaining what happened so he can check to make sure something did not happen to his copy of the route :)

Take care,
    Rich S.

also, will i need the original version? i downloaded v2 (I think) because in the readme it said that this version will overwrite previous versions, but then again, it didn't say i'd have to install previous versions. "If you already have a previous version of the route installed, there is no
    need to delete it first. SETUP.EXE will safely install this version on top of your prior version, updating files where necessary." is what it's telling me. this route also has the weirdest set up, saying it creates a mini-version of MSTS...
    "The L&PS route includes many customizations to the basic MSTS install. To ensure these modifications don't interfere with your existing routes, the L&PS setup program will create a mini-MSTS copy in a separate directory. After installation, the setup program will leave a shortcut on your desktop to give you access to the special L&PS version of MSTS."

Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>

Default RE: L&amp;PS corrupted files

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll check the file out and make sure it's OK.

You do have the default routes installed, right?

Edit 1: I just downloaded the L&PS from my site, unzipped it and installed it without a hitch. With that I can say that the file on my site is not corrupt.

When you right click on the zip file and select 'Properties' do you get the file size the same as this?

It says in the README1ST.txt;

The L&PS route copies some files from your Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS) directory. Be sure you have a complete installation of MSTS before beginning. There are no other addons required.
    Hawk

"We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress." -Will Rogers

Hi Tom,

> this route also has the weirdest set up, saying it creates a mini-version of MSTS...

actually, it has one of the best set-ups in the MSTS world. A number of routes - some even payware - mess with your global/shapes and global/tsection.dat folder, which puts your install of MSTS at risk. If you had, e.g. already installed xtracks or another add-on track or road set, and a new route would overwrite the xtracks-compatible tsection.dat with its own, incompatible version of the file, your entire MSTS install would be corrupt. Or, in more detail: Upon start-up, MSTS would no longer be able to read the track database of xtracks or newroads equipped routes, because the standardised global/tsection.dat listing those track and road shapes would have been overwritten by a non-standardised, incompatible version of the file. Result: Send/don't send upon starting-up MSTS.

Wayne is considerate enough to avoid this problem by making sure his installer sets up a clone of MSTS, parallely to your main install. Thus, all your files stay intact, and the various custom tracks along with the global/tsection.dat of the L&PS route will only affect that new mini-install. As a side effect, your L&PS will be very, very lean and load withing seconds...

Btw: Many users are splitting up their MSTS into various mini-installs, as this makes the sim easier to manage and faster to load and run. For example, I have some of the following mini-installs:

- MSTS Payware: All North American payware content (routes & stock)
    - MSTS EuroPayware: All European payware content (routes & stock)
    - MSTS NarrowGauge: All NG routes & stock, plus default stock for standard gauge AI traffic
    - MSTS DownUnder: All Australian and New Zealand routes & stock
    - MSTS Trolley: All subway and trolley routes & stock except:
    - MSTS L&PS: Wanye's mini-install we originally talked about
    - MSTS default: A virgin copy for cloning additional mini-installs and running any installer .bat file
    - and so on...

Lukas a.k.a Swissie

so do i then have to copy the route over into MSTS, or just click on the icon on the screen, and it will load the route.
    Thom

>so do i then have to copy the route over into MSTS, or just
    >click on the icon on the screen, and it will load the route.

Would it be save to guess that you aren't familiar with "mini-routes"?

The mini-route is a completely functional version of MSTS. You only need to double click the installed shortcut. Mini-routes are a great way to test new routes, rolling stock or configurations because you don't affect your original MSTS installation. If you do a forum search you will find a lot of information and tips.

p.s. - The London & Port Stanley is highly detailed, accurate to the prototype and includes a large quantity of L&PS rolling stock. In short, it is one of the best (if not the best) routes available (including payware). If you haven't done so already, check out the L&PS website:

http://www.lnps.info/l+ps.htm

Wayne has provided a lot of interesting information on the L&PS as well as help with troubleshooting.
    ...rich

As Rich says, once installed you don't need to do anything but click on the shortcut on your desktop.

DO NOT move it anywhere. Just leave it where it is. :-)

Did you finally get it to install?
    Hawk

"We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress." -Will Rogers

yes. I have, and no you guys, I'm not familiar with mini-routes. lol. is it possible to make a route that isn't already set up as a mini route, into one? I'm thinking of making MLTs Shuswap into one. But thanks for the help.

also while we're on the subject of the L&PS, what kinda program do I need to unpack an .apk there are a lot of activities in the f/l for the route, but when i try to unpack the .apk, it says it can't. I'm guessing because I don't have the proper program. thanks again.

Tom
    Thom

I'm not sure, but I think there's a registry key issue with the
    unpacker and mini-routes whereby it tries to set up the activity
    in the main msts tree, instead of the mini route. Anyone care to
    elucidate?

Lloyd