Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saluda

Default Saluda

Got home from work a few minutes ago expecting to see a lot of questions about installing the route...this site is filtered at work, but I did check my e-mail and found one complaint about missing files, then a second note from the same writer indicating the problem was fixed. Nothing else! I see almost 200 downloads, is anybody else having problems?

This route is a year and a half old now, and here's the rest of the story...

It was pretty much finished up in late 2005, after testing by almost a dozen people, but just as I was ready to upload, and after putting up some screen shots at [Link Expired]
    (as well as at 3DTrains, see my post there today at http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index...howtopic=12983 , with links to more pics at the Screen Shot forum there), the public beta version of ScaleRoads was pulled from the 3DTrains site for revision. As I waited out a new version through the first nine months of 2006, I worked off and on on a couple of other route projects, but then in October my Train Sim crashed. I couldn't get any non-default routes to run in either the sim or any editor. I spent most of a weekend reinstalling and trying to fix it, but no go. I finally deleted the desktop icon, moved on to other things, and pretty much forgot about train simming.

Then for some reason this past weekend, I decided to try again. This time I deleted the ENTIRE contents of the Train Sim folder (wish now I had saved the consists and trainset folders, though). I then made a clean install, got the default routes running, added my Funnel route, it was okay (darn, where are all the consists and CSX stock when I need them!), added the upgrade and NewRoads and got the Tallahassee Sub up and running, wow, still working. That's when I found the Saluda zip file I did last year for some special requests from people who said they already had ScaleRoads. I went to 3DTrains, found the public beta of ScaleRail including the revised ScaleRoads (been there since January '07 and I didn't even know), followed my install directions, put all the proper shapes in Global and textures in the route, and VOILA! I'm running trains up and down the hill again. That's when I decided to go ahead and upload.

So that's the long and short of it. Long story, short route, and you can spend an hour or two just having fun on the grade, or run the whole route in just a little more time. Looking forward to your problems, reports, complaints, and would be glad to see a compliment or two along the way. It's not exactly state-of-the-art route design, but to me at least the operating challenge is worth it.

Kent

Default RE: Saluda

Kent,

I have ran a short distance on it, being a large NS fan. I am now running it through RR, which complained that I didn't have a ref file in the Saluda route folder. Making it now, otherwise everything good.

Update-A very real world feel, grades, curvature, trackage, scenery. Thanks much !

Charlie
    Where the B Line meets the W Line-Manassas Va.

Scale Roads are no longer available for download. Also, looking at the route through the editor won't work unless you import a .ref file. I took one from another route and renamed it, then deleted all but dynamic track from its contents just to be able to look at the route. But it's difficult to get very far since most of us do not have Scale Roads, and since it's not available to download at this time.

>Scale Roads are no longer available for download.

There appears to be some confusion on this point. See my post at
    http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index...7&#entry108027

>Also,
    >looking at the route through the editor won't work unless you
    >import a .ref file.

That's what RouteRiter is for! It creates one for a route that does not have one.

In any event, if ScaleRoads shapes are not in fact publicly available, I may need to pull the upload. Not sure where Marc is today, but have not seen him post on the issue.

I just asked the question in the Trainsimulator area of this forum about the Scaleroad textures. The shapes for Scaleroads are already there in the shapes map of the global map. But according to Marc's (Hack) answer, you should deliver the textures in the texturemap of the route. So it is not necessary to drop the route, you only have to make an update for the texturemap of the route and put the Scaleroad textures that are used in it ;-) I hope you will, because the route looks pretty nice to me :) .

VINCENT

Well now, I'm really confused...I thought the issue was missing shapes, per an e-mail correspondent, but turns out it is textures instead. A zip file with the needed road textures is being uploaded as I type and should be available tomorrow.

As noted above, I've been away from the boards for a while. I thought I had left it with Marc last year in discussing availability of ScaleRoads that I would omit both shapes and textures from the planned upload, and when I saw references on the ScaleRail download page to roads being included in the latest public beta, it did not occur to me that the textures were not there. Plus, I guess I installed the old textures before downloading the latest beta and forgot, because I assumed the route was running with new textures from the latest download. My mistake.

Special "my bad" to Marc Nelson for this FUBAR situation.

Kent

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Kent

I'm looking forward to running the route as soon as the Scaleroad files become available.

I think it is fantastic that you have followed up so thoroughly.

Thanks and regards
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

We need the shapes for the roads too if at possible. The Textures are fine, but the error messages state there is shape files missing in the Global shapes folder for SR_UrbanXXX... SR_RuralXXX.....etc...

I managed to run the route for awhile, and it is a really nice route. However, I am also missing the shape files.

harlank

Infrastructure-wise and the way it is laid out, the route is very prototypical from my professional experience in general. Not necessarily in that area, but for a hillier area. The area I am at right now is Naples. The profile allows for minimum reductions and keeping at least between the 3-5 notches given the speed limits. I like the fact there is decent spacing between the grades and the downgrades and the more level spots. I've seen other routes where it was a constant see-sawing that I always felt was a distortion in how the Demexed terrain got transferred and not how it really is. You did a good job on this route, and hopefully the road situation can get worked out so we can go through towns and all the cars aren't driving off road style all the time.