Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BIN 1.6 uninstall problem - BIG problem!

Default BIN 1.6 uninstall problem - BIG problem!

Potential disaster here. I had to fix trainsim yesterday (one of them widget errors), so I uninstalled BIN 1.6. Instead of the December 2001 train.exe, I got no train.exe at all! Fortunately I keep backups all over the place, so I copied a backup train.exe in - it was the only file missing. Okay, so I tried the uninstall again, which had worked flawlessly in previous versions. Same thing, train.exe was deleted and the original was NOT restored! Several repeats, same effect, no train.exe file. I'm using Patch 1.6.102213.exe, the uninstall is Uninst_MSTS Patch 1.6.1022.exe. Anyone else confirm this?

Default RE: BIN 1.6 uninstall problem - BIG problem!

Yep.

Happened to me as well.

I have a zipped up copy in my MSTS folder for these kind of problems.

I'm now using Otto's bat file to swap between different train.exe.

Question regarding Uninstalling of the BIN patch: What if you have BIN installed in more than one "mini" route.....will it uninstall out of all of them? I would guess so as there's only one "MSTS Patch 1.6.0922" in the Add/Remove Program File.

As to your problem of the "lost" train.exe file; wouldn't a re-install of BIN take care of it?

Mr Coconut Sir,

Was the registry pointing at the "TrainSim" installation you were trying to unstall MSTSbin from? I run mini routes and have had no problems (so far) removing MSTSbin when I wanted to try the original MSTS for that one route.

To answer a later post in this thread, it only uninstalls the one MSTSbin, not all. I think it is a necessity that the registry pointers (two of 'em) are set right to avoid problems.

GaryG

Happened to me too, even though I thought I read over 30% of the readme.

>
    >To answer a later post in this thread, it only uninstalls the
    >one MSTSbin, not all.

Still not sure I understand this, and I'm not going to test it, but in my case with BIN installed in four Mini routes (out of a dozen or so), if I were to go to the Control Panel and Remove the BIN patch, I would think it would remove ALL BIN patches from those four routes. It would have no way of selecting just one route??

My understanding is that BIN is supposed to be removed via the executable in the Train Simulator folder, and not with Control Panel.

"As to your problem of the "lost" train.exe file; wouldn't a re-install of BIN take care of it?"

No. The BIN installation checks for the correct version of train.exe, and if it doesn't find it the installation stops. Can't reinstall without the official patch version of train.exe (December 2001).

As for mini routes, couldn't tell you - I use routes on/off, only have one standard MSTS installation, never tried mini routes.

So where's Otto? Somebody needs to give George a headsup on this if everybody's getting it. I shudder to think how many are out there who didn't backup trainsim before installing 1.6.102213.

Gee, Jim,

I've got several copies of the original train.exe on my hard drive. But this is sounding a little scary. Do I need anything else? Will I have to dust off those old CD's of MSTS? Guess this is a risk when you mess around with code you aren't privy to.

Where's Otto? Cranky as usual (well so am I) and probably enjoying a snifter or two! He can read the MSTSBin Forum on UK Trainsim with no problem, but I suppose he thinks it's not something he wants to bother with here.

Sorry Otto, mein lieber Freund, but I think you deserve that little dig!

PaulS

Is the BIN install not creating the backup(s) in the backup folder, or is it simply not restoring the file on uninstall?
    OTOH, backing up files is recommendsd before installing BIN.

Chris