Thread: Time Acceleration in BIN 1.6?

Default Time Acceleration in BIN 1.6?

Time acceleration does not seem to work for me anymore. Is the feature still available with BIN 1.6?

I start MSTS with "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\train.exe" timeacceleration/anisotrophic/fsaa

CTRL+T does not speed up the clock as it used to.

OR - is something wrong with my start parms? I don't think I've changed them for over a year and I am sure Time Acceleration was working for me last spring.

Default RE: Time Acceleration in BIN 1.6?

>Time acceleration does not seem to work for me anymore. Is
    >the feature still available with BIN 1.6?
    >
    >I start MSTS with "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train
    >Simulator\train.exe" timeacceleration/anisotrophic/fsaa
    >
    >CTRL+T does not speed up the clock as it used to.
    >
    >OR - is something wrong with my start parms? I don't think
    >I've changed them for over a year and I am sure Time
    >Acceleration was working for me last spring.

Hi,
    I've only just started to use timeacceleration with Bin 1.6 and my parameters are the same as yours except I make a space after the last comma and put in a dash e.g. " -timeacceleration. It seems to work for me.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers,
    Rob

Being old school, I always use foreword slashes for DOS/Windows command line switches and minus signs for Unix command line switches :) So I would add a foreword slash to the beginning of the timeacceleration command line option and then a space between the end of each option and the next command line switch, as in:

E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\train.exe" /timeacceleration /anisotropic /fsaa

Time acceleration seems to be working on my system with MSTSbin 1.6.1 using Ctrl+T to accelerate time, of course it only seems to accelerate to a maximum of a 5 second jump, and use Ctrl+Shift+T to de-accelerate time.

Rich S.

Default RE: Time Acceleration in BIN 1.6? - Works now - thanks

I added the / in front of the timeacceleration parm and now it works fine

Hi

"/anisotrophic/fsaa" are probably both doing nothing visible. The more recent crop of video cards can do these calculations in hardware. You actually might even be slowing MSTS a bit by forcing it to do these calculations with the CPU.

Just check your video card setttings to see if these options are enabled and do the adjusting there.

When MSTS was written, many video cards couldn't do these graphics adjustments so I think that's why they were made options. Remember MSTS was written in DirectX 8 days.

GaryG

Default New cards yes - my old Radeon IGP - yes

I am currently running MSTS on an HP laptop with a Radeon IGP 320M graphics setup - that is a graphics processor on the motherboard with 128MB stolen from the system. I see noticeable image improvement and not much FPS slow down using /anisotrophic/fsaa. I'm pretty sure that is because MSTS is CPU bound on the 1.87 MHz Athlon mobile processor my laptop uses.

I'll be installing MSTS on my new E6600/2GB/8800GTS/2x2 Raid0 (a pair for XP and an pair for games) system next week. Then maybe I'll see a few more FPS.

>of course it
    >only seems to accelerate to a maximum of a 5 second jump, and
    >use Ctrl+Shift+T to de-accelerate time.

Not sure what you mean by a 5-second jump.

From what I have read, I thought time acceleration doubled for each keypress of Ctrl-T.

Now it may only read a max of 5 keypresses, meaning no more than 32x acceleration is possible, I don't think I ever felt a need for more than that.

Default RE: New cards yes - my old Radeon IGP - yes

>I see noticeable image improvement and not much FPS slow down using
    >/anisotrophic/fsaa.

I don't think you understood what Gary was saying, try removing the calls for /anisotropic and /fsaa and then adjusting your video drivers - (Desktop, right-click, properties, settings, advanced) and set the anisotropic and fsaa settings THERE and you should get the same or better video quality and perhaps better frame rates as well.

Default RE: New cards yes - my old Radeon IGP - yes

I didn't want to get bogged down in technicals details - I do use the ATI tool tray to adjust the DirectX settings - until I get to screen resolutions abover 1024x768x32 not much affects the FPS - as I said I'm pretty sure the physics computations bog down in the CPU and that process can't push frames at the GPU fast enough that it can't keep up.

I've tried a wide variety of settings for the ATI parms and not much changes. Running the free Cajon Pass along the LA river at 1024x768x32 with all sliders maxed but no dynamic shadows - no specular lighting - no overhead wires I see 9 to 15 FPS no matter what I do to the video settings. All the way up to 4x aniso and 4x AA

I use FSAutoStart to shutdown everything - after defragging memory MSTS has about 250MB to run in but never has a working set above 211MB - MSTS lives on a dedicated 7200 RPM HD with a 16MB buffer - hardly ever suffer from "can't load" messages