Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS Bin and RouteRiter 'Correct Settings' button

Default MSTS Bin and RouteRiter 'Correct Settings' button

Reviewing the Bin coupler thread has prompted this question. One of the threads contains a link to a short explination "Route Riter: Getting your Rollingstock Rolling". Near the end there is a reference to having the line 'CouplingHasRigidConnection (1)' added if it is missing in a .wag file (to both coupler sections on long wagons and only the front coupler section for short wagons). Looking at the layout for the Pro-Coupler setting for Bin, that line is not included. What oes that line do? Will it make a difference in the way the Pro-Coupler settings work if it is included?

Default RE: MSTS Bin and RouteRiter 'Correct Settings' button

As I understand it, that line removes any slack action from the couplings, so including it will have a major effect on how the settings work.

Do not add that line to any of the couplers in my packs!!!! You will totally eliminate all the work done and completely remove what the pack does for you fleet. Adding the rigidline connection line with a one value completely removes any slack in that car. The reason I developed the pack was to follow Otto's pioneering work in getting flawless coupler action with the Bin patch. His work uses the rigidline value to get flawless coupler charecteristics in regards to coupleing and uncoupling, but it reomoved all slack from the train. I have taken that pioneering work and was able to re-introduce slack charecteristics back into the Bin couplers. The pack contains various couplers mimicking the traits of their RW counterparts. I have heard back from more then one RW working and retired engineer that these coupler traits are very close to the real deal and actually introduce RW slack physics to how your train reacts to these in-train forces. If you look closely at the pack and read the readme's, you will see that one coupler does use this line value to remove slack and that's the coupler for passenger cars and roadrailers. These pieces of RW rollingstock do not have slack due to their special couplers.

Bill

Thanks for the reply. That was what I thought would happen, but wanted to check first. I nned to edit the lines in the files RouteRiter uses to remove the offending lines.

No problem, have fun with the new couplers!

Hi,

Yes, Route-Riter option to Correct Settings was introduced before Turbo Bill, Otto and Joe got around to developing their latest set of options for MSTSbin, the Correct Settings does a quick fix for those using normal MSTS, and is probably more applicable to Australian and UK rolling stock than U.S. items.

The latest version of RR now includes a button to Correct Settings Manually, i.e. it lets you select which of the coupler text files you wish to use for a particular set of rolling stock.

Turbo Bill is sending me his 'Pro' set and I will include them as soon as they are available to me. Thanks to all for their help with this.

Mike

Well done, Mike and as usual on the ball ! ;-)

Perhaps you could include OTTO versions for those who do not want to bother setting their couplers for every type of loco, car or wagon in their TRAINSET folders, making sure that all work 100% no matter what ? ;-)

O t t o

Thank you again Mike for including our work in your fine program. It is indeed a badge of honor as I have been using Route Riter for a long time and is considered one of the "Big Three" as I call Route-Riter, Conbuilder and Trainstore.

Bill, I like your big three designations.

Mike - I also would like Otto settings, if that is not what is used now if you just specify "Update settings" and "Yes, these will be used with Bin."

Otto, All - Just want to point out that you can use whatever settings you want by modifying the included .txt files, assuming you KNOW what the values you want to use should be.

Bill, Otto - As I understand things, Otto is using the "Coupler has rigid connection" line so there is no slack action. Is there a middle-road section, where I can use one set of settings for all freight, get reliable action, slack action (even if not prototypical in all cases), and no need expert knowledge of how to drive a train. (or am I asking for a car with soft supple ride and glued-to-the rails handling, and my combination can't exist). (In which case, I will settle for Otto's settings, I think.

TPilot, the novice version has some added cushioning built into the cushioned drawbars, enging couplers and even some cushioning on the rigid couplers to releive some of the harsh slack these can endure on a train. This version is for the casual simmer who likes to run the train but also go to outside views and look at things or just relax and not have to worry about every little detail in regards to train handling. The standard version will allow the occasional mistake in train handling technique as well. It is more sensitive then what you are used to with your present fleet before the patch came along but still allows for the visual end of seeing cars bunch and stretch when switching as well as seeing some effects of the slack out on the mainline. You could try a few pieces with the novice version added and see if your comfortable with it and if not then you always have Otto's version to fall back on. Do remember that you need Otto's DEFAULT folder for my coupler's as they are based on his platform. His DEFAULT wag file is included in both my coupler packs.

BTW Mike Simpson, if your are checking this thread it would be a good idea to add otto's DEFAULT file to your Route Riter program so it can update that file as well when people update their couplers. That file is a very important piece of the puzzle. I will email this to Mike as well.