Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Additional WIN-XP MSTS Memory Allocation for Patch 1.6.1223

Default Additional WIN-XP MSTS Memory Allocation for Patch 1.6.1223

Following feedback about low amounts of MSTS Memory being allocated by the 1.6.1223 Train.exe on WIN-XP computers, George said this:

[font color=blue]MSTSBin uses standard Window function "get Free Memory". It is obvious that Win uses dynamic memory handler. If you run any prog 7 times you get 7-times different portions of free memory. If you terminate any programs or Win services, free memory is increased after memory is flushed to swap and dlls are unloaded from memory, perhaps after minutes. There is no concern for it.

Yesterday I added a XP version of patch with more portion of memory allocation, the previous one aimed more at WIN-98SE computers. [/font]

So I downloaded the MSTSBin 1.6.1223 again and after running the Uninst_MSTS Patch 1.6.1223.exe installed the new Patch 1.6.122319XP.exe and MSTS is now allocating almost double the amount of RAM for MSTS compared to before, depending on the available RAM of course and no other programs running at the same time as MSTS !

MSTSBin 1.6.1223 under WIN-XP users are advised to do the same ! ;-)

O t t o

Default RE: Additional WIN-XP MSTS Memory Allocation for Patch 1.6.1223

The new XP version doubled my memory allocation from 150 to 310megs. The sim has never run this smooth for me with every slider maxxed and every option checked on. The guy's a genius. He's transformed MSTS for me into a whole new sim.

Heck, just getting fps close to 20 on Rogers Pass (in the snow, no less) is a quantum leap for my little ol' Dell!

Uncle E

Otto.

I have run the new patch on my 4 month old laptop and it has freed up the memory from 30-40 to 75-80mb.

The framerates and performance are worse than they were with previous versions of the patch.

The XP version of the patch has improved performance compared to the previous non-XP version, my computer is still allocating too little memory. I am not sure why certain XP computers are allocating so little memory in the first place.

As I say - with previous versions of the patch I had no such problems so something has changed between this version and previous versions of the patch to reduce performance on this computer.

Dan

Using the XP patch (which I no longer am since I can't get the AE to work with it), I received the message that 860 mb were allocated to MSTS. What this really means I'm not sure. I tried running an activity on the SAL Florida Division route (one of the most demanding on my system) and the performance was no better than what I was getting using the previous patch (i.e. good frame rates looking externally from the side, poor frame rates looking straight head or straight behind).

Otto or anyone else who know more about this. Is that a new zip file from MSTSBin or have to add the word " XP " . Please let me know about this as I wasn't sure about this. Yes I did download the patch file from the site of MSTSBin but different name without " XP " when I unzip the patch file before installing them.

John

I downloaded again yesterday. When I unzipped the file it had 2 installers one of which was designated xp.
    Sharon Evans
    Activities are what make train simulators run
    Charter Member 2002

Sharon

Thanks for your reply and I did have to re-download the file again and got the right file to unzip and install them in my program of Trin Simulator. It's working now with double up with how many KBs of memory to allocate. I got more than 320KB of memory with the right installer for XP.

Thanks again

John

How does one check their memory allocation after installing the latest patch ?

Ron K of Rockford

It automatically shows when you start the sim with the new patch installed.