Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still having a bizarre time with Raildriver

Default Still having a bizarre time with Raildriver

Hi folks,
    and a Happy New Year to all!

I've installed the latest (XP) version of MSTSBin, but the problems with the Raildriver still exist (Brake levers do not work and the throttle control is very flakey).
    I now find that the keyboard controls for brakes, throttle and direction are not working correctly.
    I've been running the German Railroads Vol 7 (Excellent add-on by the way)and now the diesels, I have not tried anything else, do not respond to the default [ ] ; ' keys.
    Instead the a & d keys appear to work as a combi throttle. For the w & s keys, the s keyseems to be the only one the works.
    Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, having copied over the the two files in the translated dll folder I find that the F5 key is doing the auto-rotate through all three options again. Can someone remind me how to stop this.

Cheers
    John

Default RE: Still having a bizarre time with Raildriver

Hi John !

And a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too ! ;-)

Can't check my RAILDRIVER in the U.K. with 1.6.122319XP as I am with my son in the States.

The basic drivers which are supplied with the RAILDRIVER are inadequate for working with all the variations of locos used in MSTS and unless you modify all their *.eng files to suit the RAILDRIVER's few options you will get problems !

When Microsoft updates Direct-X then it is up to the graphics cards manufacturers to update the drivers for their products so that it's improvements can be used.

George improved many of the MSTS functions with MSTSBin and continues to do so, apparently thinking of adding new ones to *.eng files and it is up to PIEngineering to supply suitable RAILDRIVER files which make use of them !

O t t o

Here's a thought. I propose a new RD driver be written that uses a shared memory region. It could read parameters from this region and write current control settings into the region. George could have MSTSbin open the shared memory and copy all the stuff that is currently shown in the F5 display into the shared memory in addition to (instead of?) what it displays on the screen. The new RD driver would use the info in the shared memory region instead of having to parse the pixels in the display buffer. This would allow everyone to use AA and AF along with the RD and otherwise not care about the placement or color of the F5 display.

I don't believe there'd be a need for anything more complex than that. I.e., no DirectX interface implimentation; just a simple shared memory.

Later, if George feels like doing it, he could have MSTSbin read the control info from the shared memory and act on it directly rather than having the RD driver send keyboard commands as it does now.

I'd be willing to try writing the RD driver if I can find enough info about how to read and interpret data from the RD device. Maybe PIE keeps that secret, I don't know yet.
    Dave

Here's the dat file from my GUI folder for the RD. I know mine works so hopefully this will get you back at the controls for your sim.

Yes Dave, that is precisely what I have been talking to George about before ! ;-)

But this would mean adding new source code to MSTS and re-compile it which he can not do.

All he can do is read the un-assembled Binary code segments of functions and making sure that their sizes do not change, amend them, re-assemble them and save them back to where they came from. That alone requires some genius ! ;-)

That is why none of the MSTSBin patches have changed the size of the original Train.exe !

O t t o

>All he can do is read the un-assembled Binary code segments of
    >functions and making sure that their sizes do not change,
    >amend them, re-assemble them and save them back to where they
    >came from. That alone requires some genius ! ;-)
    >
    >That is why none of the MSTSBin patches have changed the size
    >of the original Train.exe !

Yikes! That is genius.

I'm by no means an expert and I'm pretty sure George has already thought of or tried this, but if it were up to me, I'd take a shot at patching the object file headers and either increasing the size(s) of the sections or, worst case, adding a whole new section of any size I needed. Then changes to the main code would simply jmp, jsr or reference into the new section as required. I am not intimate with the workings of the Windows compilers and linkers, but I've done that in the past with other OS's. It was possible for me to use the compiler or assembler to produce new object code that I was then able to simply patch into the old object file, but it wasn't easy. It appears at first glance the .exe format would allow such a cheat. Re:

Train Simulator $ objdump -h train.exe

train.exe: file format pei-i386

Sections:
    Idx Name Size VMA LMA File off Algn
    0 .text 003503a5 00401000 00401000 00001000 2**4
    CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
    1 .rdata 0002be17 00752000 00752000 00352000 2**4
    CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, DATA
    2 .data 00035000 0077e000 0077e000 0037e000 2**4
    CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA
    3 .idata 00002874 0084d000 0084d000 003b3000 2**2
    CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA
    4 .rsrc 00006b20 00850000 00850000 003b6000 2**2
    5 .reloc 00029239 00857000 00857000 003bd000 2**2
    Dave

Many Thanks Bill, the keyboard is now behaving correctly.

The raildriver is another matter, and I'll have to look in to it over the next few days.

Cheers
    John

Hi John !

I am back at home with my computers and my RAILDRIVER and can check on what your problems could be, but as I said before there are many versions of settings in *.eng files and trying to make them all work with just 4 RD driver versions is impossible !

You would have to synchronize locos *.eng files settings to match the basic 4 RAILDRIVER *.rdf parameters, or create new *.rdf files for specific locos.

O t t o

To take your thought one step further, can a shared memory region be created for the HUD variables that could function via scripts as an Application program Interface (API)? That would provide a method of interface for those of us developing full scale cab simulators.

Does George have a memory map of the variables displayed on the basic and expanded HUD formats? If so, how can that information be obtained?
    Doug

Did you read this in my post above, Doug ?

[font color=blue]All he can do is read the un-assembled Binary code segments of functions and making sure that their sizes do not change, amend them, re-assemble them and save them back to where they came from.[/font]

He can not add new code or functions to the MSTS source code which would necessitate a re-compile of the amended original C++ or whatever program source code he has not got.

O t t o