Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTSBin 1 6 12 30..

Default MSTSBin 1 6 12 30..

Just out with minor mods to 'lighting' and fixing 'reversed steam' locos and 2 new .exe for 'himem' and 'lomem'...
    Haven't tried it yet but read that install is no probs...
    Georges

Default RE: MSTSBin 1 6 12 30..

>Just out with minor mods to 'lighting' and fixing 'reversed
    >steam' locos and 2 new .exe for 'himem' and 'lomem'...
    >Haven't tried it yet but read that install is no probs...
    >Georges

My first look ...

"TimeOfDay" bug for lights seems to be fixed. Great!!!

That pesky Penalty Light - Red Sphere of Light problem still exists. Oh well, I can live without penalty lights for awhile. (I'll drive slow :) )

I did get the "There is no disk in the drive" message when opening the editors.

I tracked this down to the builtin USB memory card readers (Compact Flash, SD, XD, etc.) Apparently, MSTSBin doesn't recognize memory card drives as removable media and therefore expects a disk. I have seen this behavior in other software and don't know what the "fix" is.

All in all, very positive update.
    ...rich

>I did get the "There is no disk in the drive" message when
    >opening the editors.

Rich,

I sometimes get a similar message regarding the CD-Drive. You can just click continue and go on. Otto has a better handle on this than I do, but basically - if you start the PC with no CD in the drive you will never get the message (presumably for card readers also). If you start the PC with any (not necessarily MSTS) disk in the drive and keep any (not necessarily the same) disk in the drive, you will not get the message. If you remove a CD that was in the drive previously, the message will sometimes appear.

BTW, I don't believe this is BIN related, but am not sure. Like I said, Otto has a better handle on this than I do.

EDIT: Didn't see that the post was about a new BIN version, but my data still applies.

Is highmem and lowmem the same as the previous XP and 98 .exe's respectively?

Now replaced by 1.7.010302

Beer is not a matter of life and death. It is much more serious than that.
    mervyn.

Just to let you know; I just tryed George's Patch 1.7.010302. It seems to work just as good as the 1.6.1230 patch, and it fixes the RE visibility; it removed the fog and I especially like the visibility toggle using the page up and page down keys. He has fixed,(and I believe it was in the 1.6.1230 patch also), the Mars lights flashing red when set to emergency. However, the red penalty sphere continues to show as it used to. Not really a problem, though, as you can go into your lights section and take out the penalty sphere of light, subtract 1 from the total lights, and it works ok. Just remember, this is his latest working Beta version, so be careful and backup.

NW611 Guest

Which patch is for XP???

>the red penalty sphere continues to show as it used
    >to. Not really a problem, though, as you can go into your
    >lights section and take out the penalty sphere of light,
    >subtract 1 from the total lights, and it works ok.

I don't agree that the red penalty sphere is "not really a problem." I have a bunch of 3dtrains F-Units and I don't particularly relish the thought of having to go into the .eng files of each one and delete lines. And since having a pink/red glow in front of me while driving from the cabview pretty much kills the experience, I am left with having to convert to an older version of Bin to run my F-Units.

I am a huge fan of this project and I know George has a lot of people clamoring for changes and fixes. But I hope he puts the red penalty sphere toward the top of his fix list because for me at least, this one is close to being a showstopper.

>Which patch is for XP???

The readme doesn't really say, but it does say the lowmem is probably better for 98/Me.

I know in previous versions the XP patch came out later for highmemory systems.

I am going to go out on a limb here and make some inferences:

1) Win98 really does not run well if at all with more than 768M of RAM, and most users probably have 512M or less on a Win98 PC.

2) WinXP is, IMHO marginal with 256M of RAM and likes as much memory as you can give it (although MSTS does not benefit from much over 512M).

3) I have 1.5Gb of RAM, so I will be running the High-mem version.

I am going to assume:

a) If you have 768M or more of RAM with WinXP, you want the highmem version.

b) If you have 256M or less of RAM with WinXP, you need to subscribe to Tigerdirect and look for a special and buy more, but you should use the lowmem version in the meantime.

c) Between 256 and 768M, it would probably be best to install and run both versions and do your own benchmarks and see what does better (and post results here). (Which is what the readme.txt implies you should do in all cases).

But this is all conjecture, so it is possible the cutoffs might be different than 256 and 768.

Hi Rich !

My son in the States has a SanDisk cards reader permanently plugged into one of his front panel WIN-XP Pro SP-2 USB-2 ports, WIN-XP allocating 4 drive letters to it on Start-Up.

At no time did MSTS complain about there not being a disk/card in one of it's drives, there usually never one being inserted !

I only plug mine in when I need to read one my my cameras memory cards, which is not all that often and then "Safely remove it" !

Could be that no SP-2 or that card reader's driver is causing this problem and would suggest not to plug it in unless it is needed. There are not all that many usable USB-2 sockets in the front panels of computers anyway to plug in your RAILDRIVER or external USB-2 HD, if you got either, etc ! ;-)

O t t o

Georges has also fixed the dynamic shadows being left on the tracks with this one, thanks, this version is my baseline now !