Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Monitor needs improvement??

Default Track Monitor needs improvement??

I want to ask if that is much possible for the creator of MSTS Bin to work on Track Monitor especially with the speed limits. I really don't like the way the speed limit operate in the program of Microsoft Train Simulator. Now with the first two -- LIMIT and CURRENT no problems but with the last one, PROJECTED -- the speed limit are changing from the top to the bottom then back to the top then back to the bottom of the speed limit all the time. Can this be fixed because I am sure that in prototypical locomotives they don't do this with the speed limit in PROJECTED change all the time from top speed to bottom speed or vice versa while running on the tracks.

Hope that this part is in the works of MSTS Bin.

Thank you

John

Default RE: Track Monitor needs improvement??

John that is caused by very different coupler values and also how the sim sees the effects of the coupler's slack action on the lead engine. As a rule we never look at projected speed but more at what the speedometer is telling us. You can have a headend that is speeding up while the rear is actually slowing down. this conditions can occur while a train is stretching out. Putting a trainline set into the train going by the accelerometer will get you a broken knuckle when the set gets to those rear cars and anchors them. Watch your current speed. With the added decimal points it's real easy to see what your train is actually doing.

Alternately - set CouplerHasRigidConnection (1) on all your wagons and the Projected Speed will stop jumping around, but you will lose all slack action.

(I am not recommending this, just mentioning it as an option.)

Actually Tpilot is correct but if you set the couplinghasrigidconnection to active on both coupler regions, your train will jump tracks when trailing thru diverging switches that are not lined by player paths. I've seen 20 cars jump over in one shot and if other cars are sitting on that other track, the sim don't like that. do what ZJoe Morris has discovered in relation to this coupler statement. On locomotives you want the second coupler region's couplinghasrigidconnection to be commented out like the example here:

Comment ( CouplingHasRigidConnection ( 1 ) )

The first coupler region would get the normal:

couplinghsrigidconnection (1)

On railcars do the exact opposite and comment out the line in the first coupler region and active in the second one.

I will be releasing in the next few days, the final version of the Bin Coupler and Pro-Coupler packs. Although they say Bin, they work very well without the patch as well. These will be uploaded to the FL and coonsidered the official release. The previous versions updloaded in the forums were Beta versions put there for people to test and try out and comment back.

>The first coupler region would get the normal:
    >couplinghsrigidconnection (1)

Should be:
    CouplingHasRigidConnection (1)

(The caps might not matter, but the spelling will).

>I will be releasing in the next few days, the final version of
    >the Bin Coupler and Pro-Coupler packs.

Bill, you might want to include the values above (or Otto's values) with the above as a "no slack" pack. This gets asked about alot and then everyone could get all the coupler options from the FL and not have to worry about other options that weren't formally released.

What about changing the color of the Restricting signal from yellow to lunar white? I know that some railroads (those using NORAC rules) display restricting as a red over yellow, but some other lines use a lunar white aspect (with red, in any combination).

While this might sound nitpicky, I think Restricting needs its own color, and lunar white would be a natural one to use if it can be done.

>What about changing the color of the Restricting signal from
    >yellow to lunar white?

Eh, green to go, red to stop, yellow to slow down works fine to me.

I don't see much reason to change it to white. However, it might be possible to specify this in the monitor.dat file without revising MSTS BIN. Not sure about that.

If I'm not mistaken, you could possibly redefine this yellow to lunar in the sigcfg and sigscr dat files without too much trouble just making sure all the parameters are there correctly.

RobertR
    ADF-M&RM
    Cascade & North Western at http://www.vcnwrr.com/

I'm sorry... I was referring to the Restricting signal symbol on the Track Monitor. The sigscr.dat and sigcfg.dat only affect the actual signals.

Ok, I'm going to be a bit of a pain here, but just turn it off and run the train by looking out the windshield. Real trains don't have an F4 screen :-) You just have to know your route very well.
    Bryce