Thread: XP Memory Management

Default XP Memory Management

I loaded the latest patch on my old, slow Dell last night, then tried to run the default activity on the new Cajon route.

When I tried the 'himem' version, I got a number of 'shape failed to load messages, and then the eventual S/DS.

When I tried the 'lowmem' version, I got a 'can't add to the world' message for one of the freight cars, and then the eventual S/DS.

I uninstalled it and went back to "last stable release", and everything is fine (fine being a relative term with my old Dell).

Anyone see this sort of behavior?

Thanks

Rick Franzosa
    ZosaTrains

See my stuff at:
    www.valleypass.com/Sales/ZTBLW.htm
    www.trainsim.com

Default RE: XP Memory Management

I think George is doing a great job but there are so many computer combos out there that it's going to be impossible to hit and strike gold on every one. I think with this old game we are probably going to have to pick and use the patch that gives each individual computer the best resource management. Perhaps as he gets closer to a final version he will get the sim to actually look at what the individual computer can do and allocate based on the computer also not just free RAM.

Bill,

I just see at as additional ammunition for buying a new computer :+

Rick

Now your talking my friend.....:<)

You MIGHT want to post your results (and system config) on the official MSTS BIN guestbook so MSTS Bin George can comment.

The last three releases have had two versions of memory management (WinXP and Win98 and then HighMem and LowMem).

I get the idea that these may be combined into a routine that checks what your system has and then selects what to use, but that is just a hunch and I don't have any confirmation of that.

If you would like to use the latest features, or if MSTS Bin George needs to release a version of the current patch that uses NO advanced memory management, Bin George needs to be made aware of the requirement.

http://www.blueboard.cz/kniha_0.php?...5x8pn3p7rmb3f4

Thanks, I'll do so this evening.
    RGF