Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Env variable for latest version of Bin

Default New Env variable for latest version of Bin

Has anyone else tried the world_fog_start_distance(8000) yet? It does seem to increase the distance, but to me the environment seem a lot darker. Anyone else noticing this?

Before

After

Take care,
    Rich S.

Default RE: New Env variable for latest version of Bin

Hi Rich,
    We have a different perception of things.. for me the second view looks correct as the slight white haze has gone leaving everything crisp and full coloured.. ;-)
    I am sure that many will agree with you..and some with me.. :-)..

Regards,
    Georges

It does look darker, but I agree with Georges, I like the second view better, but I rarely use the RE.

I also like the clearer view . Thanx Georges . The newest version is A - OK .
    Rod

Hello Georges,
    Thank you for your continued efforts in improving MSTS. You have greatly increased my enjoyment of the sim :) I do like the fact you have increased the viewing distance. I guess it's just my old tired eyes ;) Would it be possible to maintain the current viewing distance, but add a little more light so the foreground is a little brighter?

Thank you,
    Rich S.

After careful evaluation of both examples and having been a photography student at Cal. State University Chico I have come to the following conclusions:

The bottom after example is correct. The whitest thing in the photo can not be any whiter than the paper or white of the screen nor blacker than the asbence of light or pure black. The whitest thing in both examples are the distant sky and the white of the car spawner. In both images they seem to be a white as they can possible be and the black in the trees seems as black as they can can get in the bottom after image. Thus, the bottom after image is correct. The top before image is washed out by a white haze in the forground altering a correct color prespective in addition to the heavy fog in the near background.

The bottom after example has a good color saturation and good gradation of light from white to black, presenting us with a clear sharp image. The top before example, while having bright whites the colors are washed out by a overlaying white haze in the forground and heavy fog in the mid background. This haze and fog also badly alter the gradation of light and wash out the blacks and makes the image looks out of focus.

The after image is far more natural and more pleasing to look at.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy and Safe Railroading to ya.
    Tom (harby46) Harbison

Hello Tom,
    Maybe I'm asking the question the wrong way? Looking at the two above pictures, at what time of day would you say the top picture was taken at and at what time of day would you say the bottom picture was taken at?

Thanks,
    Rich S.

>...at what time of day would you say the top
    >picture was taken at and at what time of day
    >would you say the bottom picture was taken at?

I'm not Tom, but I would bet that that both were taken at approximately 11:36 AM. :) This is always the default time when you first pop into the RE.

Try this. Open any route in the RE; you're facing due north. While holding down the right mouse button, pan up while keeping the direction indicator at 0 degrees. Stop when the sun is along side of the direction indicator and the sun will be just to the east. Press the "+/=" key one time and you will then be a couple of minutes after noon. Press it approximately 60 times and a whole day will pass.

Lighting in the RE has been one of my pet peeves for years. With any environment installed as "editor.env", details and nuances of shade, especially in closup views of terrain, is never as distinct as it is in the sim. Even very close work appears fuzzy/foggy/blurry somehow. I have found myself using the "_/-" and "+/=" keys many times just to cast oblique shadows on terrain just try to see fold and dips that are just not normally viewable.

Overall lighting in the environment file you use for "editor.env" will probably not be any help. In the middle of the day, The "world_sky_satellite_amb_high_colour" sets the brightness and color of those object and terrain surfaces which are in shadow. The "world_sky_satellite_dir_high_colour" sets the brightness and color of surfaces which are in direct light. So both values should properly be tweaked and raised if you want a brighter environment.

The difficuly is that in the default "editor.env", dir_high is set to ffffffff and amb_high to ff808080. FFFFFF is as bright white as you can get, and 808080 is not that far down on the grayscale.
    http://www.december.com/html/spec/color0.html

More stupid RE experiments: Did you know that with multiple presses of the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys (the pair below Pause/Break) in either v1.0 or v1.4, you can achieve effects very similar to the two screenies at the top of this topic? :) With "Page Up" the residual fog clears and the colors deepen, while with "Page Down" the fog rolls in. Would be interesting to compare screenshots...

regards,
    charlie

Hi RE user colleagues !

The overall appearance of the scenery does not concern me a lot while working on my routes in the RE as long as I can see clearly what I am working on. Distant mountains are also not being visible in the RE, which would be useful for changing any terrain thereon.

If I want to see what a route I am working on looks like when running a train in it then I exit the RE and load the route in MSTS. After all that is what it's user will see ! ;-)

What we could do with is being able to run the route while still in the RE, not possible because only one Train.exe can run at any one time, something the new KRS is going to make possible, I understand !

O t t o

Black5=Georges Denland<>MSTS Bin George