Thread: 2007-01-03 BIN and the Cylinder Cocks.

Default 2007-01-03 BIN and the Cylinder Cocks.

I just installed and did some testing the the latest BIN. I was not only able to use the front coupler without problems, but was also able to reopen the cylinder cocks more than once! Didn't do enough testing to know if there are any limits to this: that will take more testing.

Default RE: 2007-01-03 BIN and the Cylinder Cocks.

Maybe I don't understand the problem Bill but you can open and close cyl cocks any time you wish even in the default sim. The key C is like an on/off switch.

Dave

I have an earlier post about this. With some earlier versions of BIN, if you opened the cylinder cocks a second time, you got a "fusible plugs melted" message.

How is everything else related to steam, in latest Bin 7 version? Do you feel satisfied with steam parameters?

Is is safe for us, steamers, to use BIN?

And do lights have the same problems reported in Diesels?

Jorge

Here are some other odd happenings...
    http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?t=63644

regards,
    charlie

I have not encountered any other problems so far, but have done only limited testing related to some sound work I'm doing.

Default RE: 2007-01-03 BIN and Firebox door blowback

I have now encountered the "fatal blowback" with the firebox door being open. A little experiment showed that it was associated with the blower being on. A higher value of the blower was giving a higher value to the "blowback" variable on the 3rd F5 HUD. So cranking up the blower pressure and opening the firebox door can be fatal. I don't know what other conditions might set this off.

I have version 1.6.102213 installed at this moment with no trouble with steam. Bill, the "fatal blowback" is a real life occurance in oil burners. I have seen it mostly when entering a tunnel while working a strong draft. The tunnel roof causes back compression on the fire and she will blow out even with the door closed. I expect if the door happened to be open (seldom done on oil) it just might be fatal to the crew! Never heard of plugs melting though. Coal burners will blow back smoke and gases and perhaps cinders under the same circumstances but you do not lose the fire as you do in oil.

Dave

I didn't mention tunnels. This problem occurs using BIN anytime the firebox door is opened and the blower is turned up too high. And that is not realistic.
    A tunnel changes the downstream pressure for the exhaust path through the stack and if the area behind the firebox door offer less resistance, then that is where the gases go.

Know what you mean Bill. We blew out an oil fire on the lead engine of a doubleheader pax up Blueridge some years ago. The OB was a "Borrowed" engine, not an N&W engine.

Dave