Thread: trailing unit head light

Default trailing unit head light

I was thinking. While noticing this in real life, if it would be possible for the train unit facing the opposite direction as the lead unit, to have just the headlight on and nothing else. This picture I am showing, is an example of what I mean. It would be really cool to have.

Default RE: trailing unit head light

That's cause the engineer forgot to turn it off. Kinda like walking around with your fly down, feel the same way about open knuckles on the front of locomotives. Unless the rules have changed on that too in the last few years but I have never seen either my old Road or the UP leave that last light on. The SP used to leave all inside cab light on though.

Don't know about a Bin install, but it can be done in a standard install. The engine has to be a reversed unit, not flipped.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

Yes, like I did with this "Reversed" pair:

But switching to the "Reversed" rear cab the lights do not work.

Now that we can Flip ( ) locos, their bogies turning into curves properly, "Reversing" them is no longer necessary.

I got this on my MSTSBin "To Do" list to ask George whether lights can be made to change according to the direction of travel, normal head lights at the front and red ones at the rear, be that a Flip ( ) or other loco. Read lights at the rear of the last car in passenger trains would also be great !

O t t o

There are no red rear lights on American loco's except the Conrail SD80mac's or some other small orders. The rule is light engine moves must have the rear headlights on dim. That's it, nothing special or red, just dimmed headlights on the rear unit. This deignates to other trains that an engine is occupying the main. In mainline territory a train holding the main must keep it's lead engine's headlight on dim and trains parked in the siding my extinquish their headlights both front and rear if light engine moves.

When in a consist the rear engines lights use to be required to be extinguished and I believe that to still be true as I never see a UP train go thru town with rear headlights on.

Sorry Bill !

Being European I like red lights on the last unit in a train, may that be a passenger car or a loco ! ;-)

My Märklin-H0 locos and ICEs used to change lights with the direction of travel, bright at the front and red at the rear.

But the realistic US settings you describe should work on MSTS trains too according to their direction of travel.

O t t o

Otto:
    I like red lights on my units also. Yours would look alot better using the marker light positions instead of the ditch lights. I have mine set up so the player is red with headlights off and white when on. Trailing unit displays red markers when uncoupled.

Both are not prototype, but since I am CEO.........

As I understand Bin, you are only switching Cabviews and not engines?

Really be great if George could enable the coupling parameters of the light sections.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

I am switching engines and if they are rear ones also switch to their rear cab views, especially in trainsets like ACELA, ICE, TGV and similar, having driver cabs at both ends.

Here is a DB-ICE-3 showing red lights at it's rear:

but not after changing to it's rear cab, which is now at the front of the train where the panto flash is:

There is a lot more that can be achieved with MSTSBin, either directly by changing it's binary source code or by modifying lights parameters in *.eng files to take advantage of what George can improve.

But George being a one-man band, making a living out of a full time job, it will take time. ;-)

I wish I could win the Lottery, buy the MSTS source code from Microsoft and put him in charge of it ! :7

Take care, O t t o.

>That's cause the engineer forgot to turn it off. Kinda like
    >walking around with your fly down, feel the same way about
    >open knuckles on the front of locomotives. Unless the rules
    >have changed on that too in the last few years but I have
    >never seen either my old Road or the UP leave that last light
    >on. The SP used to leave all inside cab light on though.

Nope, this is something Guilford..Pan Am railways has been doing latley, and the reason why, is to perform road side switching during the night time hours.