Thread: Alerter problems?

Default Alerter problems?

I'm not sure if this is bin related or not (I haven't had a chance to try this with default stock). I had a problem with a payware locomotive where I accidentally hit the "Z" key during a run, and about 30 seconds later, all the air blew out of my brakes. After doing a little research, I discovered that the ENG file was set up to use the alerter, but the sound was never set up for that unit. After I remedied that, I came upon another interesting problem. The first time the alerter went off, I could hear it, then I popped out of the cab to look around for a couple of seconds. The next time (and subsequent times) the alerter went off, I couldn't hear it. The only way I could tell was by looking at the F5 info. Anybody else run into this? Thanks!

Default RE: Alerter problems?

If you are switching to outside (eng.sms) while the alerter is still playing, discrete trigger 57 may not be releasing the loop after playing.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

Would the same be true if I was out of the cab when the alerter started going off (obviously I can't hear it outside of the cab)? The sound just never came back when I came into the cab.

No, to the best of my knowlege the sim switches back & forth between cab & eng sms files. While one is playing it is silently playing the other. Thats the best I can describe it. When you are outside, the eng file vigilence monitor will activate and start executing commands in that section. If you switch back to cab it "should" and usually does pick up with the sounds that are supposed to be playing at that time. When you switch from inside to outside while it is playing, you are aborting that particular section during execution. While the wav may go to the end of the loop silently, the trigger may not be executing the loop release due to aborting.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

OK thanks. I'll have to check the eng.sms file for the vigelence trigger - it may not be there either as I had to add it to the cab.sms. Thanks.

In all the sound files I've seen or created I don't recall any having the vigilance sound in the eng.sms file. Makes sense to have it there though.

Forgot to add that if you do it on the outside and switch to inside you will have the original problem in reverse. Don't switch views until you hit the Z key first.

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.