Thread: Could BIN dramatically improve frame rates?

Default Could BIN dramatically improve frame rates?

To me, the two biggest issues with MSTS have always been:

1. Frame rates; and
    2. shapes failing to load and/or crashes resulting from too many objects in an given area.

BIN appears to have solved (or at least significantly improved) the second problem. The first issue -- frame rates -- however, remains. And as routes, locos, and rolling stock become more and more detail, the issue becomes more noticeable.

Is it possible that a future version of BIN could dramatically improve frame rates? I know that in a recent release, it was claimed that frame rates would be improved for View #1 (though I haven't noticed it) leading me to think that the author of BIN is at least looking at the issue. Is this something we can hope for? Or is the issue of frame rates too complicated to resolve without a major re-write of the entire program?

Default RE: Could BIN dramatically improve frame rates?

I have seen better (3-4 FPS) with BIN than with standard MSTS. However, I think slower systems will see more benefit, but they need it more, so you're in a declining return situation.

I don't think there will be much improvement, and I would rather see the focus be on other issues.

I am not sure that there is much that can be done indide BIN to increase frame rates, and it is getting to where it is usually more cost-effective to update your hardware to see increases (particularly CPU).

>I know that in a recent release, it was
    >claimed that frame rates would be improved for View #1 (though
    >I haven't noticed it) leading me to think that the author of
    >BIN is at least looking at the issue.

George was able to achieve that by making the sim skip doing stuff it shouldn't have done in the first place rather than the infinitely more difficult task of making it do its work faster. In this particular case, he no-op'd out the call to compute player train shadows while in view 1. You wouldn't notice any improvements if you normally run with shadows turned off.
    Dave

Given an older system with shadows always off, my frame rates were actually reduced by 4-5fps with BIN installed. Just my 2 cents.
    Hugh

Frame rates are affected by all sorts of things outside the control of MSTS, which still has to do with a graphics engine coded for DirectX-7 !

I found that after upgrading my sims only WIN-XP Home, no SP, Internet or other unnecessary for sims software installed or Services running, my frame rates almost doubled and stuttering was reduced to a minimum.

Athlon AMD dual-core 64-BIT CPU, 1.5 Gb fast DDR-2 RAM, ATI X1900XT 512 Mb PCI-Express graphics card and WD 150 Gb 10000 rpm Sata Raptors hard disks are doing all the work splendidly ! :7

What is basically required to get the best MSTS performance on less powerful computers is to shut down all programmes before running MSTS, close down an Internet connection and it's firewall and virus checker, especially if the graphics card has not enough RAM itself and needs to use the CPU and system RAM to do it's job !

O t t o