Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal MSTSBin 1.6+ Coupler Settings

Default Universal MSTSBin 1.6+ Coupler Settings

Following more experiments with coupler and Default.dat settings, eliminating jerking of units in consists when driven from the rear cabs of locos or engine cars in consists, making sure that locos are at a complete stand-still with throttle at IDLE and train brakes set before attempting to switch cabs, I have created UNIVERSAL coupler settings which can be applied to all types of rolling stock individually or at the blink of an eyelid using the Route Riter.

This may appeal to those who do not want to apply individual couplers to various types of rolling stock and prefer all of their rolling stock to run perfectly at all times and use all couplers, front and aft, without any problems whatsoever, providing all bounding boxes are what they should be.

I have now extensively tested various coupling exercises, including breaking up an ICE-3, rearranging it differently, drop off the tender of a steam loco and couple onto another and all works perfectly as it did before. ;-)

My updated with these UNIVERSAL couplers improved default rolling stock is again available at:
    www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/downloads/mp3kcons.zip

http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/downloads/mp3kcons.jpg

has MSTSBin 1.6+ rear cabs and everything else needed to make sure that it will perform flawlessly under all conditions and can be used for all versions of MSTS, but front couplers will not be improved in lower than MSTSBin 1.6 patches.

Before using this download, BACK-UP your TRAINS folder to somewhere else on your hard drives !

Take care, O t t o.

Default RE: Universal MSTSBin 1.6+ Coupler Settings

Otto:

Just a little nit picking :-)

But the file: us2bnsfcar.wag still contains the infamous 5th bracket error!

John

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.

[font color=blue]Just a little nit picking :-)[/font]

Not nitpicking, John, but constructive feedback, which is appreciated. ;-)

Corrected and will be re-uploaded shortly !

Thanks, O t t o.

Hi Otto,

No slack action, with these, though, correct?

Suggestion: You might want to post just the required coupler sections in the format Route-Riter is looking for. (Will save you bandwidth and be easier for those who want to apply these changes to an entire fleet of 3rd-party rolling stock and would have to do this anyway.)

Thanks for your efforts in this, BTW!!!

Hi Marshall !

Yes, no slack action, slack action non-rigid couplers causing the non-ZERO velocity speed readings which prevent the switching of cabs, although the throttle / regulator is a 0% - IDLE and the train brakes are set.

As there is no slack action in my rolling stock nevertheless found that my all "Rigid" couplers 2 DASH-9 + 100 Freight + 2 Dash-9 consist takes some time before it actually starts moving, due to slack being taken up, but couplers not showing it ! ;-)

The bottom line is that all you do with my mp3kcons.zip rolling stock and it's couplers works all the time !!! :7

Mike Simpson is checking it and if not finding any problems, which he will not ;-), will add my 3ms timestep Default.wag, no jerking in consists and the OTTO-COUPLERS.TXT to the Route Riter for those who want to apply it to all their rolling stock, having made another change to it to let you select all *.eng and *.wag files !

O t t o

P.S.: Before committing their entire rolling stock to my 3ms timestep Default.wag & OTTO-COUPLERS it would be a good idea to create a BACK-UP of the TRAINS folder somewhere else, COPY/PASTE the mp3kcons.zip TRAINS folder into the Train Simulator folder and test my rolling stock in as many ways as possible.

If all is working as it should then apply the OTTO-COUPLERS.TXT to all your rolling stock, still having the TRAINS BACK-UP to fall back on if unexpected problems surface ! ;-)

Are you using the rigid couplers line in both coupler sections or just one?

(Yes, I am too lazy to just download the file and see for myself)!

>Mike Simpson . . . will add . . . to the
    >Route Riter . . .

Awesome!!!

>If all is working as it should then apply the
    >OTTO-COUPLERS.TXT to all your rolling stock, still
    >having the TRAINS BACK-UP to fall back on if unexpected
    >problems surface ! ;-)

Awww, what's the fun in THAT!!! (Just apply it to the whole fleet and then figure out something else to apply to the fleet if you don't like the way it works.) That's what I usually end up doing!!!

[font color=blue]Are you using the rigid couplers line in both coupler sections or just one?[/font]

This is what my UNIVERSAL coupler settings look like:

[font color=blue]Awww, what's the fun in THAT!!! Just apply it to the whole fleet and then figure out something else to apply to the fleet if you don't like the way it works.[/font]

That's what I did testing Bill's and other coupler settings but believe in "double indemnity", having a before changes were made TRAINS folder I can restore without having to roll back multiple changes individually ! ;-)

O t t o

Hello Group,

Just a little FYI since the question has come up :)

According to the Eng_Wag_Manual 2.0e

CouplingHasRigidConnection ( 1 ) means, there is no spring.

The author recommends this setting for steam locomotives between the engine and tender (First coupler section in steam locomotive, second coupler section in tender)

To enable slack action this line should be commented out or deleted from both coupler sections.

From my own personal experience I've found the CouplingHasRigidConnection to cause a whip effect on freight cars when running thru the diverging trailing point of a switch.

Take care,
    Rich S.

Just so you know, it is possible to have slack action couplers that also give low enough velocity readings to allow cab switching. Note that the velocities shown are low enough to allow cab switching. This is with the train parked on a slight grade. Nearly identical results stopped on a flat area.

Joe Morris, OVSRails Vice President
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums

Hi Rich !

[font color=blue]To enable slack action this line should be commented out or deleted from both coupler sections.[/font]

The problem with slack action couplers is that stopped trains with throttle/regulator at 0% - IDLE and train brakes set, there is minute constant movement showing in the velocity readouts, which does not cease no matter how long ago the train was stopped, George may or may not be able to fix !

[font color=blue]From my own personal experience I've found the CouplingHasRigidConnection to cause a whip effect on freight cars when running thru the diverging trailing point of a switch.[/font]

That I think is a problems with all coupler versions, Bill Prieger might be able to confirm, being an expert on virtual slack action couplers !

Take care, O t t o.