Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems when starting Editor

Default Problems when starting Editor

Hello folks,

since I installed MSTS-bin I have a strange problem whenever I start the MSTS editor.

When the editor window pops up, I get an error-window pop-up twice, with error-message "No disk in drive ...../HD4" in first window and "No disk in drive ..../HD5" in second window.
    When I start the route-editor, the messages again pop-up after the route-selection.

I've searched through the registry, any *.ini etc. files and even the *.dll to find a related text in order to find out where these errors come from, but found nothing.

I'm running MSTS on an ACER laptop, which doesn't even have 5 drives.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob Roeterdink

Default RE: Problems when starting Editor

Hi Rob !

If during any particular computer session you have had a disk in a CD-ROM drive or used a multi-card reader and have removed the CD or card before starting the Editors then you will get these errors. Re-boot your computer !

O t t o

Hi Otto,

thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that's not the problem : it's a laptop I'm using, and it is switched off and unplugged after each session. So it's rebooting about 4 times a day (at least) - and it still keeps popping up.
    Also, it 'survived' the uninstallment of the previous MSTSbin version, and installation of the latest one.
    Come to think of it, it might not be MSTSbin which is causing it, but the MSTS patch which I installed just before MSTSbin - hard to find out which is doing what.
    Anyway, I might have had a disk in when I installed, but certainly not two - there are no two drives!

Thanks anyway,

Rob Roeterdink

Hi Rob !

If an external card reader or other USB device is being plugged in then WIN-XP assigns new drive letters for them, which remain visible to it until they are "removed" / unplugged again.

There could be other programmes which create drive letters, networking, etc ?

Are you saying that MSTS complains even after you have started your laptop from cold ?

Ignoring these messages should let you carry on loading it's editors !

O t t o

Hi Otto,

yes - MSTS keeps popping up these messages even after switching the computer off and on - which I do regularly as I never leave my computers switched on when I'm not using them.
    And again yes - I can ignore these messages - the message itself actually gives me the option to 'Continue' - and so I still can start the editors. It's just that I get bored with the additional 4 clicks which are required whenever I start the editor!

But it seams I will have to learn to live with it ....

Thanks again,

Rob Roeterdink

Hello Rob,
    A suggestion you might try. Uninstall the latest bin patch, then go to http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/tr...aspx#downloads and download this update for MSTS. Install the update from the MS web site, then reinstall the latest version of bin with all options checked. Let us know if that takes care of the problem?

Take care,
    Rich S.

>It's just that I get bored with
    >the additional 4 clicks which are required whenever I start
    >the editor!

I've been having the same problem on my computer as well. Whenever I try starting the TS editors, I get, as you described, 4 consecutive no disk prompts. From what I've learned (which isn't much, I'm afraid), the problem has nothing to do with MSTSBin - it has something to do with another program on the computer. For me, the no disk prompts started appearing when I (unfortunately) installed Norton AntiVirus 2007 on my computer. Even though that buggy program has long since been removed and replaced with AVG Free, the errors still come up. The errors also come up when I use a program called "Inkscape", an SVG editor, proving that, at least in my case, the true culprit behind the errors is not MSTSBin.

I hope some of this information can be of use to solving this problem.

--Jeff
    Jeff G.

Have you tried running a program like CCleaner to get rid of left over stuff in the registry?
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

You could also try startup inspector:
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Don't know if this will solve the problem, but might be worth a try?

Take care,
    Rich S.

Don't know why I have not asked this before, but how many drive letters can you see when you look into My Computer or the Windows Explorer ?

If there are more than you thought you have then left-double-click on one to see what happens.

O t t o

P.S.: Afterthought. Are there other programs running at the same time as the Editors, like a virus checker ?

Thank you for all your help - I have managed to sort out the problem.
    The cause of all this are two USB PC-card slots on my laptop. These slots are, by default, enabled and assigned a drive-letter - just like a CD drive, in fact. That has always been so and never caused any problems.
    Somehow, though, MSTSbin checks these drives and - obviously - finds that no cards are inserted. Why it should do so I do not know.
    I have now disabled these two slots - which is no problem as I do not have any PC-cards anyway. This has solved the problem.
    That the problem was caused by MSTSbin was quite clear as when I uninstalled it, the problem also disappeared.
    I also tested if the problem was caused during installation of MSTSbin, rather than when running it. So I installed MSTSbin with the slots disabled, and the editor started without errors. But as soon as I enabled the slots, the errors re-appeared. So it is some action activated by MSTSbin at run-time - but only when you start the editor, not when actually running MSTS.

Thanks again, and good luck,

Rob Roeterdink