Thread: A question for Otto (ish)

Default A question for Otto (ish)

Otto,
    Can you tell me what the files that MSTS BIN backs up are for? and does it amend/ add any other files?

I will explain why I'm asking.

I am trying to find out what files (if any) cause the Raildriver to automatically cycle through all the options in MSTSBIN. I have noticed that the 3rd option (with all the extra information) actually stays on screen longer than both the other two and the null display.

I have tried swapping out the monitor, activity, common and to_* (and there seems to be more of these under the BIN version) files, individually, and replacing them with copies from a non BIN'd version that I have on another pc.
    I have also uninsatlled the latest BIN (1.7) and then just copied back the 1.7 train.exe to see if any of these changes make a difference. To date none has.

I wonder if there is anything else that I am missing.

I can't do much more research on the subject for the next week as I'm about to go off to the Toyfair in Nuernberg. But will do further experiments when I get back.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Cheers
    John

Default RE: A question for Otto (ish)

Bin changes the font boldness and the color enough that the RD program can't read it. You should always have a backup of your original GLOBAL and GUI folders then after installing Bin patch copy the backups back into the Trains Similator folder. the easiest way for you to get your RD working again is to uninstall the Bin patch. This will restore your GLOBAL and GUI folders back to the way they were. Now make a backup copy of each of these and put them in a safe place permanantly. Re-install the Bin patch only choosing the middle option and not the first and third option. Now copy you backup GLOABL and GUI folders back into the root MSTS folder and overwrite if asked to. Your RD should now work properly. Also make sure you have a good Soundcfg.dat file installed or get one from here to make sure the sounds no longer cause your sim to crash.

Hi John !

My RAILDRIVER has no problems with either reading the first parts of the F5 HUD. But a higher than 1024x768x32 resolution I have seen mentioned could perhaps it problems ?

The occasional popping up of the new third part of the HUD I prevent by first letting MSTS complete the loading of whatever activity and when the locos cab is on screen press F5 before pressing the RAILDRIVER's Run/Stop button.

What MSTSBin backs up is shown below !

It no longer updates the hud*.dat files in GUI\DRIVERAIDS !

Take care, O t t o.

But it does change things in the GUI folder from the original. There are several things noted on your example. Many people use special driveraids screens and other GLOBAL/GUI custom items. This is my reasoning for playing it safe and doing a backup and then copy/paste deal with these two folders. My MSTS insatallation is highly customized to have the look that is pleasant to look at while waiting for the sim to do it's thing. My ingame screens and fonts etc are geared for my vision problems as well. So I play it safe and make sure my sim is as I need it after installing the Bin patch.

Hi Bill !

Questions on the subject in the UK-TS forum prompted me to install MSTSBin 1.7 in the installed from CDs basic default test MSTS, which has the December 2001 Train.exe in it and then just changed the MSTSBin Train.exe back to the December 2001 version, leaving the updated GUI, *.DLL and *.iom files in place.

Apart from showing some of the new MSTSBin driveraids all worked as it should. Restored the 2001 *.DLL files and still no problems.

But as you said, to be on the safe side, I too would go back to the originals after removing MSTSBin, being tidy minded ! ;-)

O t t o

I mean put the originals back in after Bin is installed. He changes the fonts and colors on the driveaids. I like my old fonts and colors as they are easier to read. Putting the original fonts and colors back in does not hurt the Bin performance and keeps my sim nice and neat. I don't intend on uninstalling my Bin patch unless it's to test and possibly implement a new one. I will never go back to a pre bin MSTS configuration. I'll dump the sim completely before I do that.

Yes, Bill, that's what I and many others do too.

Driveraids are interchangeable and there are many downloadable versions of them, transparent, semi-transparent, colored differently, etc, etc !

MSTSBin 1.7 updates some of them but it is up to user to install others if they do not like the updated ones, or restore their previous ones from the MSTSBIN_BACKUP folder ! ;-)

O t t o