Thread: Easy Painless way to install Bin upgrades

lelandfletcher Guest

Default Easy Painless way to install Bin upgrades

Dear Friends,

I have been reading of the problems people have of installing new Bin upgrades.

I have discovered a very easy way to install the new upgrades without the disruption of uninstalling Bin each time.

Bin will install anywhere you have a pristine original v.1.2 (v1.4) train.exe file.

Simply save a pristine train.exe file in any folder you want, direct the new Bin version install to that folder and install it there.

Then copy that and paste it over your MSTS Train Simulator installation.

OR:

Paste the pristine v.1.2 train.exe file and overwrite the old Bin train.exe file in your MSTS Train Simulator installation. Bin will see the pristine v1.2 file and install over it.

I prefer the first method because then I can see the changes that have been made by comparing the dates of the files.

I hope this helps.

Yours truly,
    Leland

Default RE: Easy Painless way to install Bin upgrades

I use a slightly more involved but, to me, safer method of installing and testing MSTSBin. I think it is more prudent to create a mini-route first. That way if you don't like it or have problems, you can simply delete it. My procedure is:

1. Create a mini-route with the basic (v1.4) installation of MSTS - call it MSTS_Install.

2. Install the version of MSTSBin you want to test or use into that mini-route.

3. Copy the mini-route folder to another name - call it MSTS_Test.

4. Uninstall MSTSBin from the first folder (MSTS_Install).

5. Delete the now surplus first folder (MSTS_Install).

You now have a fully functional installation of MSTSBin in MSTS_Test without any troublesome installation hooks remaining in "Add/Remove Programs". If you change your mind or have problems, you can just delete the MSTS_Test directory (after saving any route or rolling stock edits you want to keep). You can also repeat the process with a different version of MSTSBin for testing or comparison. If you decide you like the latest MSTSBin version (I do - I do :) ), simply copy or move all of your ROUTES, TRAINSETS, etc. to the new installation. I prefer to copy. It takes more disk space, but I also have a fully functional "previous" version of MSTS/MSTSBin if I need it. You can greatly reduce the amount of disk space used by ROUTES and TRAINSETS through the use of junctions.
    ...rich

Hey Leyland !

I think you will find that a MSTSBin patch will not install if a MSTSBIN-BACKUP folder still exists in the Train Simulator folder, irrespective of a December 2001 Train.exe being present !

O t t o

lelandfletcher Guest

Dear OTTODAD,

That's good to know! I install Bin train.exe over previous Bin train.exe because I never install Bin directly so I never have the Backup file.

Yours truly,
    Leland

[font color=blue]I install Bin train.exe over previous Bin train.exe because I never install Bin directly so I never have the Backup file.[/font]

Doing that is not a good idea, Leland, because MSTSBin installs a lot of other files the patched train.exe will be looking for and if the older versions have not been replaced will not be able to provide all of it's improvements, such as those in the included amended language specific *.DLL files !

It also backs-up the previous version of MSTS or MSTSBin folders and files the MSTSBin patches modify !!!

O t t o

lelandfletcher Guest

Dear OTTODAD,

It works great for me! I do change the dll files when they change. I use my own monitor.dat as I prefer it.

Most of the other files don't change from Bin version to Bin version, I do check the dates.

It lets me keep the small changes I want and yet get the benefit of the Bin changes.

I'm not going to take a position on this. This isn't for everyone, it is just a tip for experienced users.

Yours truly,
    Leland

Yes, Leland, that's another method if you know what you are doing ! ;-)

I too have my special selection of DRIVERAIDS I prefer, I copy over the MSTSBin installed ones.

But frequent installations of MSTSBin patches like we had recently, using the Uninst_MSTS Patch*.exe and installing another patch takes just seconds, not having to check for dates of files which need updating !

Bottom line is that it's got to work and it doesn't matter how you do it ! ;-)

Take care, O t t o.

Otto,

Your pictorial is very enlightening and full of good information. Thanks for expanding on a good method for quick installing MSTS Bin. Do you use this method for installing Bin in various Mini-Routes? I'm assuming that you install using this method and then paste the folders into the various Mini-routes and over writing.

Thanks again,

Rochester Mike
    Thanks,

Rochester Mike

Hi Peter !

You can install MSTSBin patches into any drive/folder which has a December 2001 Train.exe and no MSTSBIN_BACKUP folder in it. After a patch has been installed make sure that you COPY/PASTE the English language DLLs into the folder it's Train.exe is in.

To make sure that the Shortcut loading the Editors in a MSTS MINI copy use the appropriate for it DLLs, enter this as shown below in it's Desktop Shortcut !

O t t o