Thread: Front Couplers NEVER Work!

Default Front Couplers NEVER Work!

They never have and they never will! (Well, maybe.)

This is not a "help me" post, but a "fall down in the shower and hit your head on the tile all over again - deja vue" kind of thing. In the "Bin couplers version 2.1" thread I commented that the front couplers on a wagon or engine don't really work - at least they don't extend or compress. It is the rear coupler as defined by the orientation of the player engine that does all the "slack action". It occured to me that maybe front couplers don't work at all. Front couplers may simply be a defined coordinate on a wagon where a "rear" coupler can attach. All couplings between wagons (including engines) MUST be between a "front" and a "rear" coupler. Remember "front" and "rear" is defined by the orientation of the player engine - not the orientation of the wagon.

Even if true, so what? Once you define the "front" and the "rear" coupler, every wagon has the proper kind of coupler on the proper end. However, George's astounding efforts with MSTSBin have opened new dimensions! (Do I hear Rod Serling humming in the background?) Now, with dual cab/dual direction engines and the ability to jump from one engine to another, "front" and "rear" may not be so well defined. I think that is obvious from the number of LIGHTS problems in switching engines and directions. Maybe some of the "I can't couple after I switched engines or cabs" problems are caused by trying to mash two "front" or two "rear" couplers together. This might be a situation where the second Coupling section is important and the parameters actually get used.

The important thing would not be getting the "front" coupler to work right (it doesn't work at all), but making sure MSTSBin can tell it's face from it's other end (e.g. - make sure the the "front" and "rear" of each wagon is correctly defined).

Thought I would just toss this out and see if someone throws it back. I apologize if this idea has been posted many times before - I just never noticed it.
    ...rich

lelandfletcher Guest

Default RE: Front Couplers NEVER Work!

Dear Friends,

My front couplers always work! This is from before Bin was installed.

I can even kick cars using the front coupler. It is all in the way that the couplers, bounding box, and default.wag is set up.

The answer is a complete system of values that work together to get the most accurate physics possible from MSTS.

I even have the adhesion include in the system. Yes, the engines can have wheelslip on braking!

It is a system that with only minor, logical adjustments, can be fine tuned for even more realism. I have been looking for a RW engineer to help with the fine tuning.

The best part is that it is logically adjustable!

Yours truly,
    Leland

>My front couplers always work! This is from before Bin was
    >installed.

I think you (and a few others) may have missed the point. ;)
    ...rich

Rich,

I think I got your point, just haven't had time to respond fully. For now, I will say that cars, like locomotives, do have "ends". Their is a front and a back, and something does work in the "front" coupler ( which is the second coupling section in a .wag file ). I will devise a test to show the differenced between the different settings. I still have my coupler testing car that has a measured "stick" extending from each end and can be use to measure stretch and compression. I will take pictures of single coupler sections without an active "rigid" statement, single coupler sections with an active "rigid" statement, double coupler sections without an active "rigid" statement, double coupler sections with both sections having active "rigid" statements, and, finally, a double coupler section with only the "front" section having an active "rigid" statement. In addition, I can "flip" the cars ( they have markings to show which end is which ) and repeat with front to front and rear to rear couplings as well. This will take some time, but I will post here when I finish.
    Joe Morris, OVSRails Vice President
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums