Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which BIN is best?

Default Which BIN is best?

well I've read through about 80% of the posts here in the BIN section.... I'm considering downloading some sort of version of BIN but don't know which one. some seem to have alot of problems, and therefore alot of patches. So which version out is the best? if it matters, what I want the BIN for is so that I can use the front coupler, and to "Loco Hop", use another locomotive besides the one I started out in, on an activity. thanks

Tom
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

Default RE: Which BIN is best?

Tom,

Similar to yourself, I waited for most of the bugs to be worked out. Like a new car model… never purchase the first one.

In any event, I had as need to install the Bin. I downloaded the ‘stable’ 1.6. However, there was an engine ‘headlight’ problem. A perpetual red/yellow/green glow in front of the engine. Possibly equipment/model related.

The subsequent 1.7 version eliminated the headlight problem… However, I seem to be having a engine braking issue, but haven’t had the time to follow up on it as yet.

As for previous versions… I cannot advise. Others may be able to enlighten you regarding those.

Have a sparkling day,
    Bob
    Have a sparkling day,
    Bob

[SIGPIC]https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic56455_1.gif/[SIGPIC]

The best one! :)

MSTSBin actually creates two kinds of problems. Since MSTSBin is definitely a "work-in-progress", ocassionally new bugs will creep in as George adds more features. These can be annoying, but the solution is to let George know what "bugs" you and drop back a version and wait. Most of the "kinks" get fixed fairly promptly.

The second problem is that George will add a feature such as the expanded F5 display that reveals how bad the original really was. You can't blame MSTSBin for these problems and they are usually much harder to fix.

I strongly recommend that you try MSTSBin using a "mini-route". If you don't like the results you can simply delete the "mini-route" and there are no potential problems with uninstalling MSTSBin. It also lets you compare different versions.

My personal take? I am currently using the very latest MSTSBin (v1.7.022420) in ALL but one of my mini-routes. I keep one mini-route with the orignal MS/Kuju version for testing and route installation.
    ...rich

Hi Tom !

The latest 1.7.0224 patch has dealt with most of the minor niggles created by adding more and more improvements to MSTS and are unavoidable, some code changes of a program's complicated binary code occasionally producing unpredictable results elsewhere.

However once George is being made aware of them usually deals with them in the next release. Will be a couple of weeks this time before he can continue working on MSTSBin patches !

O t t o

A good idea may be to release a patch that fixes all issues/bugs to date with no new features. This would give everyone a stable version based on recent work that he can springboard future upgrades that include new features. This way if a big bug shows up we have a stable recent release to fall back on.
    Bill
    Rule of The Day: 147.7.16.B
    When all previously LISTED Trainhandling braking methods fail to produce desired results......JUMP!!!! Either way it's gonna hurt.

Hi Bill !

Difficult to wind the clock back and undo some of what has been fixed and remove all that has been added to date and doing it probably create more problems ! Would also not want to start again with a 1.4 patch Train.exe and then just add some of the major fixes which apparently caused no problems ! :-(

The most important fixes I can think of are the front couplers, bogies of flipped rolling stock turning the correct way into curves, increasing the amount of objects MSTS can load when running a route and what else is in this list:

Not sure about how the MSTS Memory Management fix now works on all computers.

I rather have MSTSBin with all it's bells and whistles and don't mind waiting until George can sort out minor niggles which do not bother me ! We have been waiting 6 years to get this far, so what's a few more months ! ;-)

As far as I can tell the 1.7.0224 patch is not causing any problems in my various copies of MSTS on my AMD 64BIT dual core CPU with 1.5Gb DDR-RAM installed, not used for anything else but MSTS, MSFS and utilities for them, no SP-1 / 2 or other MS updates having been installed !

The problems I keep reading about are more likely caused by improper installs of MSTSBin patches, inadequate computers and how they are run, inappropriate settings in rolling stock files and some add-ons MSTSBin does not like !

I keep being asked to fix some rolling stock e-mailed to me and it is always their files and not MSTSBin which causes problems !

Take care, O t t o.

Bill going off topic here but still pertains to BIN.I've noticed when you plug it,and when the air recovers you can't move the train.I've had to save and exit then come back in to get things working again with the player train.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks

http://www.notch-8.com/
    http://www.railroadradio.net
    http://www.RFCHosting.com/

Try looking at the brake values on your cars using the extended F5 display. Sometimes, it takes a long time to get the back of the train fully released, and if those cars have "high" brake force settings ( possibly higher than they should be ), then they may keep you from moving. I usually use my coupler settings even with Bin, but the brake values done for Bill by Jean-Louis are more correct for Bin, so I use those. I use Route Riter to install the brake values, using the "manual" brake fix that actually has a semi-automatic mode for doing just the brakes.
    Joe Morris, OVSRails Vice President
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums

First Otto, I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying go back to the beginning. I'm saying before adding any more new features, get everything working with what he has done to date or with what is planned in the next release. So put out the next release and then do a patch that repairs any new bugs that show up from the changes he made so we have a stable fully working patch to fall back on if new improvements cause problems. So basically every few patches he releases a patch that fixes any new bugs that are the result of new features.

Secondly on the train air reset problem. In the RW you have to put the handle into emergency and leave it there for a while for the PC control to reset. I think this may be modelled but you need to center the reverser and make sure the throttle is in idle as well. The train after a while should reset and build air pressure back up. It will take a while if your using the air system physics provided by J-L Chauvin in my kit or provided with Route Riter.
    Bill
    Rule of The Day: 147.7.16.B
    When all previously LISTED Trainhandling braking methods fail to produce desired results......JUMP!!!! Either way it's gonna hurt.

Bill and Joe I am using both the coupler and brake valuse from your tests and release.
    Yes the reverser is in neutral and air fully recharged but upon going back into motion theres nothing.If I save and return then no problems and yes try sitting and waiting for the air to come back with a one lunger and 108 grain mtys.Takes a while for 1 eng to build up the air in the RW.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks

http://www.notch-8.com/
    http://www.railroadradio.net
    http://www.RFCHosting.com/