Thread: Mini-Routes?

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Default Mini-Routes?

How do I "upgrade" mini-routes to Bin? Do I have to run the 1.4 patch and delete the backup folder on ALL of them and then run the new bin on all of them? Is there an "easier" method, such as copying everything in the TS folder except the stuff already in folders, perhaps?

Robert

Default RE: Mini-Routes?

If you create your Mini Routes using RR, then they are already updated.As all the mini routes created use the main msts installation as the basis for the creation of the mini route.

Assuming you have already applied the Bin Patch to your main msts install, that is.

Mike.

It is advisable to create a MINI route either manually or with the Route Riter and then restore the Version 1.2 / Patch 1.4 Train.exe into it and delete it's MSTSBIN_BACKUP folder before installing a MSTSBin patch.

That will created a Uninstall*.exe and Uninstall*.log specific for the MINI route so that it can be un-installed.

I don't think that the Route Riter edits the *.log file with the new MINI route path ?

Take care, O t t o.

If you want to delete the mini route, you just right click it and choose DELETE. No registry entries are made when creating a mini route.

Hi Owain !

I am talking about un-installing an MSTSBin patch, which if not installed directly into a MINI route using it's installer can not be un-installed with it's Uninst_MSTS Patch*.exe.

Un-installing a MSTSBin patch which has been copied with MSTS from elsewhere requires the MSTSBin patch Train.exe to be replaced with the 1.4 patch version and the MINI route's MSTSBIN_BACKUP folder to be deleted !

O t t o

lelandfletcher Guest

Dear Robert,

I have several mini-routes with different versions of Bin.

Create an empty file folder with a title like "Train Simulator MiniBase" for example.

Click on Train Simulator (with the 1.4 patch, and Bin if you want) and under Edit select all of the contents.
    Copy and paste into the new "Train Simulator MiniBase" file.

Delete any consists and trains that you don't want to keep (keep default.wag for sure and maybe the default engines and wagons as you may need them)

Open the Routes files and delete any you don't want (I keep the default routes but delete all contents except the world files, as some programs need to see the default routes even though they are no longer usable.) (Be aware that some routes run .bat files that need all the original route files for proper installation, once installation is complete they are not needed anymore.)

You now have a "MiniBase" Train Simulator file that you can copy into a new file and make any number of mini routes by just adding the new route.

If you want to install directly into the New Custom Mini Route Train Simulator, just rename the original Train Simulator to Orig_Train Simulator. Then rename the Mini Route Train Simulator to Train Simulator and install directly. This works when using any other program "aimed" at Train Simulator also. (The mini-routes don't need to be named "Train Simulator" to operate.)

By simply renaming, this system is very flexible. One always has "Train Simulator" but the contents can be very different.

Different versions of Bin can also be used in different custom miniroute files, but that is another topic.

I think that these instructions are complete, please ask if you have any questions.

Yours truly,
    Leland

I have covered this a long time ago with a tutorial here:
    http://www.trainsim.com/howto/miniroutes/mini.htm

The default routes are not required in a MINI route, saving disk space, as add-on routes which need to run an Installme.bat can be installed into the MAIN Train Simulator folder which contains the 6 default routes, or use a specific for Installs copy of MSTS with just the necessary default routes folders an add-on route may require and after installing and test-running the new route move it and it's rolling stock to it's permanent location in a MINI route !

These Original folders contain the prior to an install folders and their files and should be restored before installing another add-on, after deleting the by the last install used GLOBAL and TRAINS folders, to remove anything which may have been added to them !

Also keep in mind that it's GLOBAL folders need updating with new releases of the Tsection.dat, Xtracks and similar !

O t t o

If you had my new utility called MSTSmanager you would not have to worry about all the extras, just run it, select which min you want and the registry is chnaged, they can even be on another drive..

Having worked with Joe on his MSTSManager, I can recommend it wholeheartedly, it opening many easier ways of doing a lot with MSTS, unpacking TSUnpack downloads into MINI routes, changing MSTS path between TRAINSTORE and other MSTS copies and a lot more ! ;-)

Take care, O t t o.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Thanks for all of the advice! I just had to upgrade to the new bin, the sounds of all the units operating is absolutely awesome! Next, we'll have to figure out how to replicate a unit that won't "load" and hence, won't throttle up with the rest, but stay at idle! Every new update seems to open more and more opportunities...

Robert