Thread: AI sounds

Default AI sounds

Thanks to Kevin A for posting this and oking cross posting here:

With the newest bin, AI engines do not need a different sms file, use an regular one.

If you have your engines aliased to common files, either in common_snd or like MLT or Dekosoft has set up, you do not need to edit all the ai eng files.

What you do is is highlight an regular eng file, right click and copy.

Highlight the folder it is in and then right click and paste. This will create a file that says "copy of ......."

Go back to the ai file and click on it. Right click and click on rename. This should highlight the file name.

Right click and copy. Then add "old" to the name.

Go back to the copy of file and right click on it and then rename. Paste in the ai eng filename you copied above.

Ta DA, you are done with that one.

It is a lot easier to do this a few times than edit all your eng files.

Though with DW units, you have to edit them one at a time.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Default RE: AI sounds

When the bug is fixed,there is then no need for Electric or Diesel AI locos.The helper locos will use their SL5,3 or 1 sections (only one is needed) according to taste when on a player train and their SL0 section (still speed controlled) when on an AI train unless George has fixed that too.At present AI locos are required because:
    1)The sound bug which we hope George has fixed,and
    2)The Kuju clowns did not know the difference between radius and perimeter.This does not matter with Diesels and Electrics because the wheel spinning is not noticed but with Steam Engines it is noticable and an AI loco is required with a different wheel "radius".
    When I am satisfied with my sim with the new patch I shall be deleting all my AI diesels (never had any AI electrics)

Hi

One more reason we had AI locos that you are overlooking. AI locos were also originally designed to avoid loading the cab views as they were adding unnecessary graphics requirements to our then limited graphics resources.

With MSTSbin and the ability to switch locos, we now do need a cab view in any loco we might want to switch to so we have another reason for doing away with all AI customizations.

GaryG

Or you could leave it an AI so you know it has no cabview but change the eng sound line only to use the sound line of a regular eng.I have done this with DW's engs and works fine.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks

http://www.notch-8.com/
    http://www.railroadradio.net
    http://www.RFCHosting.com/

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Having now installed the latest patch with helper loco notch up/down sounds,I worked out how to utilise it.Contrary to my previous statement,keep AI diesels and electrics and amend the AIEng sms file so it has a SL5 (or 3 or 1) and a SL0 section.SL5 has Variable 2 controlled sounds ie gives notch up and down sounds for helper locos.SL0 has the original speed controlled sounds for locos on AI trains.Additionally SL5 has CabCam deactivated (you do not want to hear the helpers in your cab).Hope that is clear!!The same principle for wag sms files so you do not hear the wagons on your train in the cab but do hear wagons of passing trains.

One hint if adding an SL0 group...

Be sure you add it as the final group or you'll find the loco you're driving now has sounds that are speed controlled instead of throttle controlled ;)

GaryG