Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soundcfg.dat - the Rolloff parameter

Default soundcfg.dat - the Rolloff parameter

Hi

An observation I've been seeing with all locos using the SL1, 3,or 5 .sms parameters. I usually tinker with loco sounds to improve them (IMHO) by tinkering with sound siles, sms files and the soundcfg.dat files. The Rolloff appears to work very strangely (at least with the 1.7.0519 bin version).

It appears to be controlled by the engine RPM's! I had the Rolloff (soundcfg.dat) set at 1.0 and a loco in neutral and idling then moved away using the '2' view. The engine's sound volume slowly faded as expected. Next I increased the throttle and as the RPM's increased, the maximum distance I could hear the sound decreased. At full throttle, I had to be quite close to the loco to hear it!

I then did the same test with the Rolloff set at 0.0 and now the engine RPM's didn't affect the volume. This could actually be a useful flaw if it worked in reverse, the higher the power level, the louder the engine sound would be ;-)

Can any sound Guru's out there confirm this observation? If it is the case, perhaps requesting George to tie the Rolloff to another control rather than RPM's might actually become an opportunity for some interesting improvements. I will experiment with both bin and non-bin versions to see if it's always been this way. I'll also try experimenting with negative values as well.

GaryG

Default RE: soundcfg.dat - the Rolloff parameter

Hi Gary !

The soundcfg.dat in it's original state was the cause of many problems, it not allowing for too many sounds MSTS could handle, not being aware of the capabilities of newer sound cards.

George is now supplying the version which was first suggested I think by Carlos, who then later improved them further, allowing the soundcfg.dat to allocate as much dynamic RAM as it needed with ZERO parameters like shown in the Soundsystem lines below, I am using with no more sound related problems caused by MSTS at any time !

What worries me is that interfering with a working set of parameters like that could trigger other unanticipated effects like we had recently !

O t t o

Hi Gary,

It looks like we were experimenting at about the same time with this file. I was working with this file the other day, trying to make my horn
    a little louder. This is what's in my file, Note: this is for a good
    performance sound card:

Sound (
    Skip ( Scalability 1 - Memory Guide 0 )
    SoundTimer ( 1, 30, 5 )
    AudioStream ( 1, 500, 100 )
    SoundSystem ( 1, 40, 20, 0 )
    TrainMinMaxDistance ( 1, 25.0, 1000.0 )
    AmbientMinMaxDistance ( 1, 20.0, 1000.0 )
    Rolloff ( 1, 1.0 )

Skip ( Scalability 2 - Memory Guide 1M )
    SoundTimer ( 2, 30, 5 )
    AudioStream ( 2, 500, 100 )
    SoundSystem ( 2, 40, 20, 1048576 )
    TrainMinMaxDistance ( 2, 25.0, 1000.0 )
    AmbientMinMaxDistance ( 2, 20.0, 1000.0 )
    Rolloff ( 2, 1.0 )

Skip ( Scalability 3 - Memory Guide 5M )
    SoundTimer ( 3, 30, 5 )
    AudioStream ( 3, 500, 100 )
    SoundSystem ( 3, 40, 20, 5242880 )
    TrainMinMaxDistance ( 3, 25.0, 1000.0 )
    AmbientMinMaxDistance ( 3, 20.0, 1000.0 )
    Rolloff ( 3, 1.0 )

Skip ( Scalability 4 - Memory Guide 10M )
    SoundTimer ( 4, 30, 5 )
    AudioStream ( 4, 500, 100 )
    SoundSystem ( 4, 40, 20, 10485760 )
    TrainMinMaxDistance ( 4, 25.0, 1000.0 )
    AmbientMinMaxDistance ( 4, 20.0, 1000.0 )
    Rolloff ( 4, 1.0 )

Skip ( Scalability 5 - Memory Guide 60M )
    SoundTimer ( 5, 30, 5 )
    AudioStream ( 5, 500, 100 )
    SoundSystem ( 5, 300, 100, 62914560 )
    TrainMinMaxDistance ( 5, 60.0, 1500.0 )
    AmbientMinMaxDistance ( 5, 20.0, 1000.0 )
    Rolloff ( 5, 1.0 )

Skip ( Generic, Overall stuff )
    VolumeTweak ( 1.0 0.4 ))

I used the Scalability 5 section for my horn and works pretty good.
    In your case try the setting in TrainMinMaxDistance and Rolloff
    you can set the rolloff at ( 5, 0.10 ) or ( 5, 0.18 ) you can set these higher to suit you, along with that set the TrainMinMaxDistance
    to ( 5, 60.0, 1500.0 ) the higher the 60.0 the louder it's going to be
    and set the 1500.0 higher or lower and you may want to try the VolumeTweak a little and be sure to backup the file in incase it doesn't work for you.
    If your experimenting i'm pretty sure you have a lot of backups

Hope this helps a little.

Tom

I am not a Sounds expert, Carlos is, but the 100 value in all the Soundsystem ( ..... ) lines is contributing to reducing MSTS crashes when it tries to play too many sounds at once and being used by many has confirmed that ?

O t t o

Otto,
    while I support you(accordingly to my experience) putting 0 as fourth parameter in the SoundSystem line, you should exchange position to 400 and 100 in the same line.
    The second parameter in the SoundSystem line defines the amount of 3D sounds available (by 3D it is not meant stereo, but that they are sounds that change intensity depending from distance and having Doppler effect - in general external sounds - ), while the third parameter defines the amount of 2D (stereo) sounds available. Now in general you will have more external sounds than internal ones (think at a case of a long train where each wagon has maybe 2 or 3 external sounds). So it is advisable that 3D sounds are defined in quite bigger quantity that 2D sounds. In general you won't notice difference because 100 3D sounds is already an important amount, but it's more precise having the opposite. You won't never need more than 100 2D (Stereo cabview or passengerview) sounds (at least this is again my experience).
    I tried also to explain this to George, but with no success. So he is still having the fourth parameter bigger than 0 and the second parameter less than the third one. But it must also be said that after increase by MSTSbin of the memory at disposal of MSTS, possibilities of crashes due to too much sounds and fourth parameter bigger than 0 have been reduced.

Carlo

Hi Carlo ! (Sorry about the "Carlos", old age memory fading ! :-()

My soundcfg.dat lines say this SoundSystem ( 1, 100, 400, 0 ) forinstance.

Is that what you mean ?

Take care, O t t o.

Hi Otto,
    no problem for the Spanish version of my name!
    Your line should be SoundSystem ( 1, 400, 100, 0 ) .

Carlo

Thank you, Amigo ! ;-)

O t t o

Otto,

It looks like you are looking at the SL 3 area. Why are you not looking at the SL 5 area?

Does anyone have the numbers from the one that comes from BIN? I have never let it install it, so I have not looked at it. I have been happy with mine, so I did not let it install. I would like to look at the numbers before I install.

Bryce

Bryce,

I too have never let BIN install the sound "upgrade". I also would like to know the numbers in it, as well as if it changes anything else, before installing. What we should do is make a backup and then install and see what has changed, I guess.
    Joe Morris, OVSRails Vice President
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums