Thread: Lights and bin

Default Lights and bin

I would be grateful for some advice on the following.

I am running MSTS without Bin. However, I have downloaded some engines that use Bin. When I start MSTS I get an error message saying something like: Error reading train database and then a linenumber in the .eng file of the the engine that is prepared for bin. When I comment out the whole light section, MSTS loads properly. So far, so good.

But I would like to have lights on my loco. I understand that statements unit (4) and unit (5) are Bin and not recognized by MSTS without Bin. They change lights when using a reversed cab, I think. I suppose I just can get rid of the lights that use unit (4) or (5) and ajust total number of lights accordingly without doing any harm. Am I right in this?

I also have understood that values headlight (x) that exceed 3 are not recognized by MSTS without Bin. I hope I am right. What exactly happens if I comment these lights out? Or can I change the value in headlight to another value that is not Bin dependent? And what happens then?

Regards

René

Default RE: Lights and bin

You can do one of two things:

Remove the sections that use Unit ( 4 ) and Unit ( 5 ), reducing the total number of lights by 1 for each one you remove. You must be careful about which parenthesis you remove when removing a light section. This is the "best" method, since it removes "unnecessary" lights for non-Bin MSTS

OR

Change all Unit ( 4 ) to Unit ( 3 ) and all Unit ( 5 ) to Unit ( 2 ). This method should work, but may leave you with duplicated lights ( i.e. two identical light definitions for the ones that use Unit ( 3 ) or Unit ( 2 ). This method is easiest to reverse. Of course there will be no need to reverse if you have made a backup before making changes, just restore the backup.
    Joe Morris, OVSRails Vice President
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums

Default RE: Lights and bin

Joe,

Thank you for your help.

René